Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a pea coat style with very thick lapels and collar, ideas?

JLStorm

Practically Family
I saw a pea coat the other day that an older gentleman was wearing and I didnt feel comfortable asking him who made it, it just felt awkward asking. Now its driving me nuts.

I've been looking for a pea coat like this for a while, but havent found anything. It looks like a standard issue coat, but the collar and lapels are extremely thick. They arent wide from side to side, but very thick from front to back. Much thicker (maybe 2x) than anything I have seen from speiwalk, schott, and the milspec coats of today. the edges of the collar and lapels are rounded and well finished. I could tell his coat wasnt anything designer, because it was very much a milspec type cut, straight up and down, not much tapering. The collar and lapels were thicker than the typical vintage 70s and 80s milspec coats as well.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

JanSolo

Practically Family
Maybe it was similar to this one:

Pea%20Coat%20mont.jpg

It's a Buzz Rickson replica of the pre-war US navy issue peacoat.

It's supposed to made from Kersey instead of Melton

JLStorm

Practically Family
The lapels were definitely thicker than that and the space between the seam on the lapel and collar was wider. They were so thick and the edges were so nicely rounded that I just couldnt stop staring at it. Had it been a woman, she would have thought my eyes were glued to her breasts...it was kind of sad really lol.

Peacoat

Bartender
Have you read my article in the sticky at the top of the Outerwear page? It is the third sticky from the top. You really don't have to read it, just look at the pictures to see if one of the coats there is what you saw and liked.

JLStorm

Practically Family
This is the closest thing I could find to it online. Buttons are the same, color is the same, in person the lapels looked thicker, but very very similar, but his buttons didnt have the anchors on them, at least that I could see.
Navy_peacoat1.jpg

JanSolo

Practically Family
Why don't you go custom all the way? For a good tailor a peacoat shoudn't be difficult to make as it's a quite simple and straightforward jacket. Maybe you could even hand in a good fitting commercial peacoat and have that copied. The only thing you would have to do is source some decent heavy weight melton or kersey cloth. I've once handled a 38 ounce navy blue cashmere/lambswool blend (30%/70%) which would be perfect for a really heavyweight yet super soft peacoat. Such a jacket shouldn't be too expensive depending on the cloth and cost of labour. Maybe slightly less than what an Aero would cost.

Here's a random link:

http://www.militaryheritage.com/wool.htm

Only 20 bucks for 1 metre (39 inches) of an all wool heavy weight cloth!

Peacoat

Bartender
That's a fine looking coat pictured in your post. What is wrong with that one? I don't see how you could do any better than that. Of course, I'm a bit prejudiced toward the vintage military issue peacoats.

JLStorm

Practically Family
That's a fine looking coat pictured in your post. What is wrong with that one? I don't see how you could do any better than that. Of course, I'm a bit prejudiced toward the vintage military issue peacoats.

Well, you probably couldnt, but that was just a random picture I found on the internet, not a coat I found for sale. I think that is a WWII issue peacoat from what the photo caption said, but I wear a 46 or 48, so WWII coats are pretty much out.

and Jan, I would like to eventually find a peacoat, but I dont want one badly enough to go custom.

Peacoat

Bartender
No, that is a post WWII coat. May even be post 1979. There is a sticky toward the top of the Outerwear section that tells you everything you need to know about peacoats. I have referred you to it before.

If you are a 46, the vintage peacoats are available with some searching. The size 48 peacoats are more difficult to find. Contact Spoonbelly--a member here--for info about large size peacoats.

Here is the link:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?35824-PEACOAT-DATING

JLStorm

Practically Family
No, that is a post WWII coat. May even be post 1979. There is a sticky toward the top of the Outerwear section that tells you everything you need to know about peacoats. I have referred you to it before.

If you are a 46, the vintage peacoats are available with some searching. The size 48 peacoats are more difficult to find. Contact Spoonbelly--a member here--for info about large size peacoats.

Here is the link:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?35824-PEACOAT-DATING

Thanks for the link. I did look at your sticky, but the photo of the WWII peacoat was to small for me to really see the details. Ive checked out the vintage trends site you sent me a while back and they are pretty low on stock as well. I'll check the link above. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe