Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Long coat recommendations??

Jake Sullivan

One of the Regulars
Glad to be back in the lounge, (college becomes a time consuming mistress at times)

I am a newbie to the jacket forum, I have spent most of my time focusing on my hat addiction, but to get to the point: My wife recently purchased 2 overcoats for me on ebay to accompany my new attire needed for the business world. I was wondering if anyone would mind sharing a few pearls of wisdom with a "style rookie"? All opinions are valued

regards

Jake

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Jake Sullivan said:
My wife recently purchased 2 overcoats for me on ebay to accompany my new attire needed for the business world. I was wondering if anyone would mind sharing a few pearls of wisdom with a "style rookie"?

Do you have pictures of the coats? Seeing them, or having a description of them, would help us tell you what would be appropriate to wear with them.

Generally, though, I can tell you that men's coats for business dress should be made of wool, cashmere, camel hair, or some such material, and should be at least mid-thigh length (what's called 3/4 length). Never wear a suit or a sportcoat with an overcoat made of nylon or the like--keep those for skiing and other activities. Also, never wear a suit or sportcoat with an overcoat that isn't long enough to cover the bottom of the suit jacket.

A dark, long (knee- or mid-calf length) coat in black, dark grey, or navy blue would be the most formal, and appropriate for wearing with a suit. Other colors, such as tan, brown, green, and tweeds are generally less formal. So are shorter lengths.

A scarf is a good accessory to wear with an overcoat, especially if the coat doesn't button very high and exposes a lot of your shirt and tie to the cold.

Peacoat

Bartender
I would opt for a length a little below the knee in a wool, or wool/cashmere blend. The all cashmere will be a bit pricey for someone just starting out. A solid color charcoal or navy is appropriate for all business, and most party occasions. Stick with a standard lapel, and it will see you through all of the "fashion" changes. Go to Brooks Brothers or Joseph Banks to get an idea of what you are looking for. They sometimes have their overcoats on sale for $200. I have bought several from Joseph Banks that I have been very happy with. As stated in the prior post, a scarf is useful, especially when the temp drops below 40.

If you want to pay about $150, one of the discounters may have what you want, after you see what style you are looking for at one of the better stores.

My advice is to dress conservatively. As you establish yourself, then you might try something a little different and get by with it. But right now you want to look like you fit the mold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe