Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lightweight Borsalino just arrived.

vonwotan

Practically Family
My recent find - a lightweight Borsalino with diamond pattern vent holes arrived today. The seller was right, it looks like it was rarely if ever worn with a pristine sweatband, but does show some moth bites, under the brim and above the bow as mentioned in the add. The felt is wonderful, thin easily manipulated and a great taupe color - almost as nice as a Weimaraner! The photos don't quite capture the color.

Now comes the good news - for someone else. :eek:

The measurement provided in the ad, 22", was way off, and the seller did not notice the size tag in the hat. This is a size six (6) under the punti system, and is way to large for my tiny noggin. Here are some pix...

457079900_a47e87be97_m.jpg

457079904_1158f7b832_m.jpg

457079896_2f36094588_m.jpg

457079892_1f0b164a00_m.jpg

457079902_b992605e61_m.jpg

457079898_2c488fb5ae_m.jpg

vonwotan

Practically Family
I just realized something that may drive me to drink ... more ;) Now that I have had this hat in my hands, and know that they are out there, I am going to spend an awful lot of time searching for another...

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I am intrigued by the diamond pattern. I like it very much.

I have recently seen a bunch of Panama Hats with these same sort of designs. It must make it nice for summer; I would imagine.

A very nice hat!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lovely hat!
But how in the &^$% do you "not notice" a bright red size tag hanging there... poppycock!

Um, tangentally I happen to be a 7 3/8, if you were intent on disposing of this...

vonwotan

Practically Family
Well, the hat will be winging its way to the new owner later today.

The more important questions - when? what? are there more out there?

Seller thought this was a 1950s hat. It comes from an estate (many other hats were sold) from a well know jurist here in Mass.

Going back to our dicussions of vintage vs. modern Borsas, it is amazing how much more snap there is in the brim of this hat.

Now I have this model and the odd looking 1934 stiched hat that Marc Chevalier posted burned in to my brain. Two quests - I "need" to find good examples of each in 6 7/8 - 7.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
DOUGLAS said:
Vent hole and everything, lucky, lucky lucky!!!

It IS a great hat, and congratulations all around.

But if it's vent holes that turn you on, why not take/send a regular old fedora to your local hatter and have HIM put in vent holes? It can't be that difficult, or can it? What does our Art Fawcett think?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
That's a fine looking Borsalino! I also have a size 6 that fits fairly loose but fit it does with some minor stuffing of the sweatband. I just might be interested in this one.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally