Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Langlitz Cascade

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I originally had an Aero Highwayman on order, but I could never get an answer on when the jacket would be ready. I remember reading that some people had waited 6 months for theirs and I didn't want to wait till the fall to get my jacket! I talked to the guys at Langlitz and gave them a description of what I wanted and they said it would be no problem making me a jacket to my specs.

What I ended up ordering was a Cascade based jacket with zipperless sleeves, dress collar, 2 inch band around the bottom, straight zip, no action back, medium weight cowhide, and in brown (all in 2 1/2 weeks!).

If you ever order from Langlitz, your initial impressions on getting the jacket will be underwhelming. The jacket comes in butcher block paper and initially the leather almost looks like pleather. But, after a couple of weeks the leather starts to break in and the character of the leather really starts to show.

The last Langlitz I got was the same medium weight cowhide, but was much heavier and took a LONG time to break in. I had bruises in the elbow and shoulder regions from breaking that coat in! This jacket is breaking in much easier. I did ask Langlitz about the difference in the coats and they said that there is a normal variation between hides. No matter, it still is a stout jacket.

The pictures aren't the best, as it's hard to see how nice the color and leather are. The standard brown is quite dark and similar to a seal brown color.

front.png

front2.png

back-1.png

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
That's a beautiful jacket and it looks pretty close to a Highwayman. Is there a reason you went with cowhide instead of FQHH?

53Effie

A-List Customer
Very Nice

Cool jacket! I really like the styling and the fit looks to be just right. Is the brown color an upcharge with Langlitz? I had no idea a Langlitz could be obtained that quickly. I've sure had some long waits for a couple of other brands. Teaches us patience I guess.

Mike

HighandDry

A-List Customer
You can get horsehide with Langlitz, but I think it's about a thousand dollar option! Not sure exactly why.

This brown and black have no upcharge. They do have a big selection of colors, but it costs a extra hundred.

In terms of fit, both my jackets were exactly on. My Aero fits well, but not as well as my Langlitz jackets. I believe that for Aero, my measurements placed me into their standard 42.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
I just checked out the Langlitz website. It's actually pretty tedious to use (which doesn't surprise me, since they're a smaller shop, and Aero's isn't all that great, either).

I'm actually very impressed that you were able to get from the original Cascade to your jacket. I, certainly, would not have been able to make that jump in my own mind. I guess it's also a testament to their willingness to customize. From what I can tell from their website, it doesn't look like they normally work with FQHH, so maybe that explains the huge price hike. In fact, it's not even listed as an option on the website.

Either way, well done! And don't forget to post some pictures once you've had more time to break it in!

Peacoat

Bartender
A year or two back, I was looking for another motorcycle jacket (not that I actually needed one). I checked out the Langlitz website and was most unimpressed with the selections. It appeared all they were offering were two styles, a Perfecto type and a Cafe Racer type, neither of which I was in the market for. So, I moved on to something else. Now, I see from the posts on this forum, Langlitz makes a full array of jackets, none of which is shown on their website, except the Columbia and the Cascade.

I see they offer a catalog of different styles, and I ordered one yesterday. I appears to me that most of us these days are used to ordering online and expect products to be displayed in that format, without having to order a paper catalog.

After the catalog gets here, I will finally have a chance to see what Langlitz offers. However, with both a Goodwear and a Vanson on the way, it will be a while before I can justify another jacket.

pipvh

Practically Family
Peacoat, the real Langlitz goodness is here:

http://www.langlitzjapan.com/custommade.html

Also check out the products. The catalogue - if it's anything like the one I've got - barely skims the surface. I talked to them a couple of years ago and they'll do anything on the Japanese site, as far as I could gather.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Yes, looking at the website or catalog (Peacoat, the catalog is still very minimal), you would think that they do only a few styles of jackets.

I emailed them a picture of the Highwayman and asked if they could do a jacket that was similar in style. They replied that it would be no problem as it was the same style as their Cascade. Really?

They were willing to do any custom options for me and at no extra cost. I'm willing to bet that they can do almost any type of motorcycle/bomber (not spec)/Indy type of jacket based on their existing patterns. You can add any type of sleeve, bottom, back, side-cinch, collar, color, fit, etc. In terms of liners, they said that you could mail them your choice of liner and they could sew it in.

Their strength is in their customer service.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Beautiful jacket! You mentioned you had an Aero Highwayman on order... were you able to cancel the order or is it still on order? I thought I recall reading somewhere that once you place an order with Aero then you cannot cancel it.

Enjoy the jacket... it looks great on you. :)

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Navin, I had no problems cancelling my order. Although, I ordered back in dec before the price hike, so maybe that had something to do with it.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
How much does a Langlitz cost?

High and Dry, I don't want to put you on the spot, but in general, what are we looking at for a new jacket (the prices are very specifically omitted from the website)? I'm just wondering how they compare to Aero, etc. I like the idea of supporting an American business AND getting my jacket sooner (although, after sifting through a few old posts, especially by HoosierDaddy and Peacoat, I'm kind of sold on FQHH).

jon z

One of the Regulars
Great looking jacket

H&D that's a beautiful jacket. Did you specify any specific material for the lining & what is it? Also did you have any options offered on the zipper & was it specified that the bottom end finish above the waistband or is that just how it came?

HighandDry

A-List Customer
The Cascade is 900 (no sales tax and includes shipping), so about 100 more than the Aero. Yes, FQHH is unique, so you have to factor that in, but the Langlitz cowhide is so nice. The coat is made from one hide and builds so much character over time.

In terms of the lining, I went with their standard heavy nylon. The zipper is a nice Talon, but you can also send them your zipper of choice to put in the jacket. The band on the bottom, they called a "Levi's style band" and they choose to place the zipper above it. I was worried about the band getting worn down by the zipper and I think that's why they placed the zipper above it. Where they placed the zipper, it completely misses the band as you zip up.

If you do have them make you jacket, you have to have a pretty clear idea of what you want. Remember they remain a true motorcycle jacket maker, so their options lean toward that. If you want more of a street style jacket, consider the options, cut, and style that you want.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
There is nothing else like a Langlitz, they are legendary, been in business for over fifty years. The jackets are made for bikers, custom fit, you have to give them about a dozen measurements. They are also cut for a riding position so if you dont intend to use it for riding you need to tell them that. Their cowhide is the highest quality I've seen and even their medium weight is heavier than most. I have a Cascade and a Columbia and wouldn't ride with anything else.

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
Because of reading about Langlitz for a very long time, I finally gave in to a deal on eBay for a Cascade that I couldn't pass up. I have a number of Aero and Lost Worlds jackets so I was surprised (fool that I am) at the uniqueness of the Langlitz.

The most surprising thing is the warmth of the jacket. The cowhide I have is the medium weight, easily equal maybe heavier in weight to the FQHH of Aero, but it is much warmer than the LW or the Aero. I hope it doesn't have a 'Thinsulate' or other type of lining. I'm pretty sure that Langlitz doesn't typically do this.

Secondly, the smell of the hide is very different from the other manufacturer's leathers. Including Eastman.... Anyone else notice this? That's the one thing I prefer on the Aero: Eau de FQHH

Lastly, the cut of the jacket accommodates my body type, but the collar is very different from the shirt collar style typical of A-2's, or Aero utility jackets. You can see from HighandDry's photo how flat the collar lays on the front of the jacket. This collar characteristic is the same on all Langlitz's jackets. I have no problem with this, it's just different.

Nice jacket HighandDry! To me it looks less like a Highwayman than it does an Aero Trailrider without the belt or a LW Ryder. Thanks for posting it.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Thanks for the comments guys! The leather is really breaking in nicely. I'll post some pics in 6 months or so.

Elmonteman, Langlitz will use thinsulate if the customer requests it. There should be a serial number on the inside pocket along with the original owners name. If you call Langlitz, they will tell you everything you want to know about the jacket. In terms of the smell, I can't say that I notice much a difference from other jackets. It still smells like leather to me:) .

In the end, it really isn't a Highwayman copy, but it surprisingly turned out very close to the way I envisioned it!

Peace

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld