Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knox won today...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I just got this Knox today.:)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Knox-The-Fifth-Avenue-Brown-Fedora-Size-7-1-8_W0QQitemZ270109002265QQihZ017QQcategoryZ52369QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
We'll see what the actual condition & color is when it arives. I'm sure a cleaning will be in order. I suppose I'll read those naptha threads again to see what to do, and make sure I do it right. I figure the price wasn't too bad and it could make a fabulous field hat when out surveying.
I could turn it into something like this.
seabiscuit2.jpg

22571.jpg

I'll post some images once it arives to better gage the inside.

Cheers!

Dan

Earp

One of the Regulars
Hey ... Nice purchase, nice price. That's going to be a great hat! As for that moth mark, it probably won't be that noticable when the hat's worn but do you remember a thread here at the lounge that told how to fill those? I read it somewhere here. I'm going to have to keep a log of posts I've found interesting so I can find things again! :)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Why thank you folks! Very kind indeed. It should prove an interesting lid. They did mention that the sweatband was coming loose. Hopefully is is an easy repair. If not I suppose I can send it out in due time and have it done. The price was right, so I can invest in any repairs and not feel any sting in the budget.:)

Cheers!

Dan

Jerekson

One Too Many
Looks like you got lucky. That's quite a hat.

Have fun with it - it looks to have alot of potential.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well, the Knox came in today!:) It looks to be in good shape except for a couple of small moth nibbles on the top and no discernable odors to be had. The leather of the sweatband is in perfect shape, but the threads came out so it will need to be sewn back in again. For the price I can't beat it with a stick. A little minor cleaning & a re-sew on the sweat & it'll be as good as new. That and a little stretching is in order for a perfect fit. It fits perfect without the sweatband in, but that just wouldn't do now, would it? The brim has an interesting treatment. It appears to be folded under and then triple stitched. The felt is rather soft & pliable, so it will take on just about any shape I choose to throw at it on a particular day. It should be a rather fun daily hat.:)
I'll post some pictures when I can.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
...And photos you shall get!

Ta da! This thing came fast. I wasn't expecting it this soon.:)
D109.jpg

D113.jpg

D115.jpg

D116.jpg

D119.jpg

This thing is so soft it takes on just about any shape you can throw at it. The sweatband is in excellent shape but needs to be sewn in again. Other than a couple of small moth nibbles in the crown & the sweatband it's in pretty good shape. And no funky odors to boot!;)
The brim looks to have an under welt that is triple stitched. Fairly interesting in my book anyway.

Cheers!

Dan

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Knox

Again nice one.

I have yet to see a Knox with a brown sweat i did'nt like and many even later have been a fine hat.

Two that i have...
ELIPSESTINGY1.jpg

farrellt.jpg

Good score, DJ -- a high-quality, handsome vintage lid that doesn't call too much attention to itself. Is the color a bit darker than it appears it the photos?
I vote for the center dent, by the way.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys! Yeah, it is a tad darker, more of a chocolate color. Once I get the sweatband sewn back in it should be a pip. Depending on the occasion I can put just about any shape in it to suit the situation.

Cheers!

Dan

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great buy DJ! Your photos have brought the colour out much better than the greeny tint in the seller's pics (or is that just my monitor?). That's a 'Seabiscuit' job for sure!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Actually I'm sort of partial to the porkpie crown. It seemed to take to that shape with very little persuading.:) but the center dent works well too. It'll depend on the occassion I guess.;)

Cheers!

Dan

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust