Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kit, accessories guns, etc. used by British/Russian "political officers" circa 1860

Naphtali

Practically Family
This forum appears to be the least inappropriate for my query.
I just read a superb book, The Great Game, by Peter Hopkirk. It is a history of the contest for empire between Great Britain and czarist Russia. Reading extraordinary exploits by "political officers" of both countries, I wondered what equipment they used, what clothing they wore - in short, beyond competence and dedication, what and how did they accomplish their objectives? Hopkirk's book does not address these things. No book on the history of competition for empire in central Asia I have read subsequently addresses these things.

Thirty years of the American fur trade era has bazillions of books, magazines, and re-enactors. The same situation occurs for the American frontier 1865-1896. But the 200 years of competition in central Asia? Bupkes, so far.

Help me out, here.

Rathdown

Practically Family
1860? well, both parties would have armed themselves with percussion revolvers. Colts were extremely popular, and mostly would have been the 1851 Navy model in .36 caliber. Tranters, Webleys, and Adams would have been widely carried (especially by the British) and were generally valued for their larger caliber (.44 or there abouts) and the fact that they were double action, obviating the need to cock the pistol for each shot-- just point and pull the trigger and the wily Pathan was dispatched to paradise...

Clothing would have been typical of civilians of the period, with many of the political officers "going native" and adopting various items of local clothing; swords would have been brought, and perhaps carried when on horseback. The photos of British officers in the Crimean war will give you a fair idea of what a Political Officer would have looked like "in the field". When calling on a Maharaja it would have been full court dress-- ie: the Second Class Civil Uniform as worn at the Court of Saint James. For a full description of this rather elaborate uniform, check out a 1900 edition of "Dress Worn At Court".

Naphtali

Practically Family
Although taken circa 1920, this photograph begs answers:
-- What is he wearing?

-- What rifle is in the case?

-- What is the telescope?

-- How did he get there?

-- Why is he where he is?

-- Is he "government," or is he under cover?

-- For whom does he work?

-- and so on.

Scanning_the_Passes-1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe