Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kilted Newbie Gentlemen!

DronesDodz

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone,
I have registred back in Sept. 2005 but only got now a chance to post/introduce myself to the group.
My name is Christoph Kresse, I am originally from Hamburg Germany but live now in Greenville, SC. I am 29 years old, married (very happily if I may say) and I am currently attending College/University with the goal to become a music teacher. As you might can guess, music is my passion! My main instrument is the Great Scottish Highland Bagpipes, that I have been playing now over 19 years. I am a very active musician and travel a lot to perform and compete. As for my musicianship qualities, I am graded as a open level/professional "piper". Beside the piping I also play different kinds of percussion instruments like the drum kit, auxillary instruments etc. I have played in several bands, music styles ranging from south american, underground, punk, grunge, to Celtic and rock pop. My dream is to integrate the bagpipes into a totally new concept of sound...maybe Swing or Jazz.

My wife and I got into the retro world more or less just out of curiosity. We both like the fashion, music, movies and the feel of the time period late 1930's -1950's. My wife would really like me to learn how to swing dance but I am not that great of a dancer. We are both aiming to purchase vintage wardrope soon and would like to dress up classy more often. My wife already bought some very nice vintage clothes, I am still looking.
Our car of choice is a "PT Crusier", as vintage as out wallet allows right now, just love the curves of that car.

Well, enough from me,
I hope to make some friends here male and female alike and hope to hear from you,

Cheers,
Christoph

Rundquist

A-List Customer
DronesDodz said:
Hi everyone,
My dream is to integrate the bagpipes into a totally new concept of sound...

Rubén Blades has already done it on the album "Mundo". It's interesting. It's not my first choice when I reach for a Rubén Blades record, but it's pretty cool nonetheless.

DronesDodz

One of the Regulars
Hey guys! Thanks for the warm welcome to the Lounge.
As I have already said my wife and I are still pretty new to the scene and we will appreciate your fellowship!
I guess I will just go ahead a post some during the next days,
by the way, I have a website, if anyone is interested,
www.hireabagpiper.com

See you around!

Christoph

DronesDodz

One of the Regulars
Maj.Nick Danger said:
I love bagpipes! Very unique, and an unusual choice of instrument to play. What was your inspiration to pick up the pipes, if I may ask? :cheers1:
Hi there,
how I got into the piping hobby? Loooooooog story...:) to make it short I was about 10 years old and was fascinated by the Scottish Soldiers in the British Army. Just loved their uniforms and of course the sound of the bagpipes. My dad had several old bagpipe band vinyls and since the British Army is still stationed in Germany I have seen pipers often in concert in my home town. When the question came up in school what instrument I would like to play in music class my answer was clear. The bagpipes of course! What looked like a childish dream to many of my friends and family members turned into a professional hobby that took me to places around the globe I usually would have never seen. Plus I met my wife during a concert in an Irish Pub. So, I guess that is the short story.
Cheers,
Christoph

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge Christoph. No harm in marching to the beat of a different bagpipe. This is a great community of folks here. Rich in knowledge, ideas and fashon sense, plus a good amount of common sense. We're happy to have you here.

Cheers!

Dan

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Isn't kilting newbies a contravention of Hamurabi's law and the sixth commandment?

I hope they solve the mystery of the Kilted Newbie Gentlemen, and put the kilters behind bars.

(Q: Am I drunk on a Tuesday, or is this a result of my son's sleep deprivation experiments on me?
A: Dunno)

PS Welcome

ITG

Call Me a Cab
AS a lover of all things Scottish (save for Haggis), I welcome you. Do you ever make it out to the Scottish Games in Arlington, TX the first weekend of June?

DronesDodz

One of the Regulars
ITG said:
AS a lover of all things Scottish (save for Haggis), I welcome you. Do you ever make it out to the Scottish Games in Arlington, TX the first weekend of June?
Hi there,
thanks for your kind words!
It seems like many americans do have an interest in their Celtic heritage,
I am traveling a lot during the summer for performances and contest on some of the highland games in the south eastern region. Unfortunately, I haven't really been to Texas so far. I hope that will change soon though.
So you don't like Haggis? Strange....I thought that was the best part of celebrating Scottish culture....oh wait...no that was Scottish Whiskey and Beer:beer: ...lol. Oh well, I occasionally eat some haggis but it is not one of my main food groups.

See you around,
Christoph

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
Dig the kilt, brother

I'd love to don a kilt, but I've got skinny chicken legs best covered in pants and heavy socks and boots. For Scottish, I'll stick with Scotch whisky instead -- Islay, please, either Lagavulin or Laphroig. As Mike Myers' character said in the unfortunate movie So I Married An Axe Murderer, "I think all Scottish cuisine is based on a dare."

Haven't had the nerve or even the urge to ingest haggis. My grandfather would be disappointed. He was a McKnight, related to the Macnaughton clan.

Burma Shave said:
I'd love to don a kilt, but I've got skinny chicken legs best covered in pants and heavy socks and boots. For Scottish, I'll stick with Scotch whisky instead -- Islay, please, either Lagavulin or Laphroig. As Mike Myers' character said in the unfortunate movie So I Married An Axe Murderer, "I think all Scottish cuisine is based on a dare."

Haven't had the nerve or even the urge to ingest haggis. My grandfather would be disappointed. He was a McKnight, related to the Macnaughton clan.

Lagavulin I could live with. Laphroig--you're on your own. ;) :p

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally