Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keyhole buttonholes on lapel

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Jovan said:
(Though, only issue I have with Browne is that he keyholes the lapels rather than a straight one.)

Jovan has pointed this out before. Did y'all know that it has a pedigree?

German suits have had keyhole buttonholes on their lapels (both single and double-breasted) since at least the 1930s. I know, because I've seen them again and again on '30s German suits and tuxedos. So often, in fact, that I began to think that it was a distinctly German practice.

When I told my tailor -- who worked in Hamburg for years -- about this, he laughed and said "Of course! Hugo Boss really popularized it, and Boss suits made in Germany still have it!" Well, that made sense. Hugo Boss's company was around in the '30s, making military uniforms. My tailor explained that back in the day, keyhole buttonholes were more difficult and time-consuming to make by hand than bar tack ones, and so German custom tailors would do them to show off the quality of their work ... even on the lapel(s). Apparently, the impression of quality stuck.

I hope that this little explanation has helped to shed light on a peculiar tailoring detail. :) True, Thom Browne isn't German, but he seems to have adopted at least one "Germanism."

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Here you go, Hem! Look closely at the buttonholes on the lapels of this 1930s German suit. Notice how they look a little bit like old fashioned keyholes?

GermanSuit3.jpg

iammatt

Familiar Face
Marc Chevalier said:
Jovan's going to love this thread! ;)

It is a strange fetish of his that has been going on for awhile. There are many non German suitmakers who use keyhole lapel buttonholes including many who do much finer work that what you will find on Savile Row.

While RTW "Neapolitan" jackets generally have straight lapel buttonholes, all of the bespoke jackets from that fair city have keyholes. Also, some of the NY bespoke tailors do keyholes as well.

Just to add to the pictures, here is the lapel on a jacket I had made recently in Naples from vintage cloth from the 60s.

Jacket:
rulrgfj3.jpg

Close-up:
bh002small2ye5.jpg

This is one fetish that I would pay absolutely no mind to as there is no correlation between hole shape and quality whatsoever.

Jovan

Suspended
Straight ones look sleeker, and hence better. Plus, on RTW suits, it's often because they don't want to spend more time making a different hole because it's cheaper to do them all the same. This is why I prefer the former kind.

Marc Chevalier said:
keyhole buttonholes were more difficult and time-consuming to make by hand than bar tack ones, and so German custom tailors would do them to show off the quality of their work ... even on the lapel(s).

So this is a bit like a subtler version of those silly people who go around with one of their working cuff buttonholes unbuttoned? Or those far sillier people who leave the branding (that little piece of silk they tack at the cuff with the makers name) on the jacket sleeve.

Interesting that not all bespoke German jackets had keyhole lapel buttonholes. I have one example without. But then, the customer would have ultimate control over this if he cared to be bothered about it.

bk

neyus

New in Town
I think if it was handmade I would have no problems with it. But then that might be a little bit showy. Someone made the comparison to working cuffs.

With machine made I prefer a straight tacked buttonhole on the lapel. I think the major problem with this is the fact it is on the lapel on display it needs to be slightly more discreet. However, I have an oxxford suit from the 80s that has a huge lapel buttonhole in a very different angle than most of my other suits. I think it makes it look quite conspicuous.

Whats your opinion on Oxxford lapel buttonholes?

Jovan

Suspended
Personally, I find straight lapel holes that are handmade to be quite nice - much less dull than a machine made one, since it isn't just a straight slit, but slightly rounded at the ends. Look at some Brioni suits for a really good example.

Dagwood

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
keyhole buttonholes were more difficult and time-consuming to make by hand than bar tack ones, and so German custom tailors would do them to show off the quality of their work ...

Very Interesting! Were the Germans the only ones to make their keyhole buttonholes by hand? Were they handstitched on both sides? Do you know if they were longer than straight buttonholes?

Before this thread, it was my understanding that all keyhole buttonholes were made only by machine. I am very excited to find out otherwise. Did this change because of the war?

iammatt

Familiar Face
Dagwood said:
Very Interesting! Were the Germans the only ones to make their keyhole buttonholes by hand? Were they handstitched on both sides? Do you know if they were longer than straight buttonholes?

Before this thread, it was my understanding that all keyhole buttonholes were made only by machine. I am very excited to find out otherwise. Did this change because of the war?

No, a lot of keyholes are made by hand. It is usually only the people who are accustomed to cheap suits who fear a keyhole for this reason. Both straight and keyhole can be made by hand or machine.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
I'd have to vote on Jovan's side this time...I like the look of a straight cut...This could of course change at a moment's notice as my tastes are still in their early stages

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe