Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Josh Bernstein's hat from "Digging For The Truth"

MattJH

One Too Many
From an interview with Josh Bernstein, host of The History Channel's Digging For The Truth, elaborating on his hats and where they're from:

Josh Bernstein said:
I've had several hats over the past 20-plus years, all named Henry (it's a long story). Henry I and II were Akubras, while Henry III through V were custom made for me by Steve King of Bounty Hunter Hats (III) in Telluride, Colorado, and Nathaniel Funmaker of Nathaniel's of Colorado (IV and V) in Mancos, Colorado. The newer models are 100 percent beaver felt and, therefore, not cheap. But they hold up very well to years and years of abuse and adventure. Sadly, I did once lose one on a trip. Henry III, may he rest in piece. I won't go into the gruesome details, but if people in Mexico City could keep an eye out, my name is written on the inside hat band.

In this interview, he goes on to say that:

Josh Bernstein said:
"Maybe it's a hat thing, I don't know, but I've been wearing a cowboy hat - it's NOT a fedora - for the past 21 years. It has nothing to do with Indiana Jones."

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but he is NOT wearing a cowboy hat. Looks like a c-crown fedora to me. Thoughts on why he'd adamantly deny this, calling it a cowboy hat? Is there any way this could be called a cowboy hat? My interest is based on curiosity only.

Front view --
josh-front.jpg

Back view --
josh-back.jpg

Top view --
josh-top.jpg

Stoney

Practically Family
Uhh... It's not an American Cowboy hat but looks more like an outback or Australian Cowboy hat.

Social differences between Aussies and Americans can make for misunderstandings.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
It looks like an Australian hat to me, the kind that is a hybrid between a fedora and a cowboy hat, fedora crown and a 3 inches plus brim.

I love his hat, the one he has now has dirt on the pinch of the crown, I keep wanting to grab it and clean it.

Love the show.

karol

griffer

Practically Family
He annoys me.

How can he honestly even attempt to distance himself from the Indy costume when entire show is packaged and advertised around the Indian Jones adventures?

Crikey, they even made a commercial for it that was a CGI rip off of the opening RoLA scene.

MattJH

One Too Many
This all begs the question, then:

What IS the difference between a fedora and an Australian "outback" hat? His resembles a fedora in virtually every way possible. He's got the c-crown with a front pinch. When I think of a "cowboy" hat, I typically think of stiff felt with the brim upturned on the sides and the center/side bash triplet. I'm aware that there are many styles of cowboy hats, but none of them that I know of look like Josh's which, to my eyes, is a fedora through and through.

MattJH

One Too Many
griffer said:
How can he honestly even attempt to distance himself from the Indy costume when entire show is packaged and advertised around the Indian Jones adventures?

He has earned himself the nickname "Indiana Jew."

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
Well, I may not be an expert, but having grown up in Texas, I know a cowboy hat when I see one. An American cowboy hat, that is. And Josh's hat ain't no American cowboy hat. That said, I like the hat and my wife and I love the show, but come on. Now, I'm not much for movies and never saw the Indiana Jones movies, but that's alot closer to Indy's hat than a cowboy hat.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
ugggg looking over my shoulder for the "Hats" bartender over that one. Can anyone see the "edit" button?

OK guys, we are being too narrow in our perception here. There WERE hats like this used in the old west but I would have to do the research to prove it. Still unpacking so that's gonna be tough. What we see in our minds as "typical" apply to today but not necessarily yesterday. I'm talking about the "everyday" hat as opposed to the "theatrical" hat. Sure, the Rodeo look is what we see in our mind but not everyday stuff. My grandfather in Texas wore a similar hat every day of his life on his little 20acre ranch. By todays standards I would call this a "crossover" or "hybrid" ( good term KD) but to purists it's still "cowboy".

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Keep in mind, too, that (as has already been pointed out) American and Aussie definitions of a cowboy hat undoubtedly differ. Perhaps significantly.

Maybe all Bernstein means is that it's a country/casual/outback hat ("cowboy"), not a city/dress ("fedora") hat.

Stoney

Practically Family
Orgetorix said:
Keep in mind, too, that (as has already been pointed out) American and Aussie definitions of a cowboy hat undoubtedly differ. Perhaps significantly.

Maybe all Bernstein means is that it's a country/casual/outback hat ("cowboy"), not a city/dress ("fedora") hat.

Agreed! Although the hat has some characteristics of the average fedora, it is definitely a rural type rather than a city type hat. For Fedora think Bogart or Cagney, for this type think Aussie.

Also, I've never personally seen an photos or lithographs of an American cowboy wearing anything like this while bowlers and homberg type hats were quite common in the old cowboy days. If it's a modern hat , rather than vintage or antique, I tend to judge the hat by it's modern peers. That said I'm very excited to see something that confirms otherwise if Art, or anyone else has something to post please share it with the rest of us.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
looks like an old Akubra Snowy River with the brim relaxed all the way.

It does look like a Cowboy hat though. If you don't agree with me just go out and rent "The magnificent seven" tonight (or any John Wayne movie). The telescope crown was very common western style for many many years, even in the USA. Maybe not for the last 30 years or so, but does that stop it form being a cowboy hat?

I would recommend anyone interested should go down to there local archives society and have a look at the old photo's. You will be surprised at what you see. The most common county hat I saw in the provincial archives, dated around the turn of the century, besides a bowler, was a flat brimmed Stetson hat with a four dent bash, like the Mounties or boy scouts. Most would not call that a cowboy hat but it was the hat of choice for most western farmers (yes even cattle farmers, otherwise known as cowboys). :0

Johnny

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Stoney said:
That said I'm very excited to see something that confirms otherwise if Art, or anyone else has something to post please share it with the rest of us.

For those with the Snyder Stetson Hats book, pp. 93-94 offer a couple of examples of cowboy hats that are more in line with the style that Bernstein wears.

Cheers,
JtL

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Cowboy hats

I live in Colorado and do see a lot of "western" hats but the hats I see on real stockmen are typically a crunched up old straw hat. The pretty Ranchers' bash is common for drugstore cowboys but the real ones are as apt to wear a (shudder) baseball cap as not.

If you look at some of the vintage photos of cowboys at the turn of the century they don't look real pretty. In fact their hats are rather scuzzy.

I believe Josh's hat is worn as a functional outdoors work hat, The wide brim and the fact he buys beaver felt tells me he really needs a good hat that can take punishment as his certainly does. A lot of people do not or cannot distinguish between an Indy fedora, a Homburg or a Stetson western hat. They all have brims instead of bills so they must be cowboy hats.

jeboat:) :) :)

Steve

Practically Family
Josh's show is owned by the History Channel, so I'm sure he doesn't have complete control of the merchandising, but it is interesting how he's been packaged.

I think he just wants to be watched for his own value and not because he dresses, travels, and has a hat similar to Indiana Jones. Even if he does to a certain extent. ;)

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
Just to be clear, when I referred to American Cowboy Hats in my earlier post, I mean the modern version. For what it's worth, most of the guys I knew when living in Texas who really worked on ranches with livestock wore baseball caps. Still, Josh need to get in touch with his "inner Indy."

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Honestly, if he wore a bowler he would get Indiana Jones comments. As an archaeologist, I can't wear any hat and not get an Indiana Jones comment, as evidenced by a co-worker when I was wearing my Australian slouch, a Cabela's Kalahari shirt, and shorts. :eusa_doh: Now if he'd have said, "Hey, it's the Bush Tucker Man!" I would have understood, but Indiana Jones?! I'm sure Josh gets a lot more comments than I do, and I get pretty tired of them. I'm sure Steve is right about the marketing, too.

There is only so much variation you can out into a broad brimmed, practical field hat. And the general public, apparently, only has so much imagination.

all he's saying is that its not an Indy hat. By "fedora" he means "Indy hat" (at least that's how i understand him).

Fair enough. Must be a irritation for those in his business.

Certainly for those of us who wish Indy Jones never existed, it is a problem when wearing a fedora to constantly be bombarded with shouts about a character we despise.

bk (can't stand 'im, very bad movies)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally