Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Peterman

mike

Call Me a Cab
What are people's thoughts of this company's products?
I just got a shirt from them and thought in some ways it was very nice and in others wonder about who their model for the cut was...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Do a search of the threads and you will find tons of pictures of Peterman's stuff. Some of us have quite a few things from them.

Which shirt did you get? I found the Gatsby shirt to be a disappointment.

Doug C

Practically Family
I just received the "Atavalo Mountain Shirt", (made and worn by the Peruvian Indians of that region). The quality seemed ok but the darn sleeves were just way too poofy! and therefore looked much too feminine on me.. I opened the package, wore it for about 5 minutes and then gave it to my wife..she looked much better in it than I.

Doug C

griffer

Practically Family
Just looked it up.

"Seven pintucks on either side of the four-button front placket, gathers at the back yoke and cuffs. Faintly swashbuckling.
Men will look broad-shouldered, brave, and secretly kind. Their female friends will encourage them to go without shaving for a few days.
Women will look narrow-waisted, innocent (but with a hint of wildness) when wearing it with trousers. Worn with a soft skirt and a wide belt? That’s another matter entirely. I don’t want to spoil the surprise."

FAINTLY SWASHBUCKLING!!!!

Sorry, but you have to really read the descriptions in J Peterman.

From that write up I know exactly the type of shirt that is, and yes, I am afraid only my wife or Agador could pull it off.

I have actually seen the ecuadoran shirts come with lace up closures instead of buttons... MUY LLAMEANTE!

I agree, Peterman can have some great stuff, but the insistence on only one, maybe two, illustrations and over reliance on flowery descriptions, makes every order have a bit of gamble to. Maybe they are trying to bring a sense of advetnure to their client experience...

Doug C

Practically Family
I read it complete several times but must have been reading with an infacis on "Faintly" - It should read "This is one swashbuckling shirt!" lol
Oh well, it was cheap.. I was kind of thinking that my wife would like it if it was a dud for me.

I am bugged about the whole drawn picture thing now though, and not sure if I'll be getting anything else from them because of it... though I am sort of temped by the Picasso shirt :D wonder if my wife would like it too?

Doug C

mike

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
Do a search of the threads and you will find tons of pictures of Peterman's stuff. Some of us have quite a few things from them.

Which shirt did you get? I found the Gatsby shirt to be a disappointment.

Well first I bought a size small Gatsby shirt off of ebay from some seller for about 5 bucks. I wasn't exactly sure what would fit or what wouldn't because I seemed to be between sizes. The sleeves and chest fit just find, snug and comfortable. I really like the material aswell. but the neck was just too tight to attach a collar or any sort. So then for their father's day sale I bought a size medium Gatsby shirt and now the neck fits just fine but the bloused out sleeves are a bit weird. What I really like about these shirts is that they are various colors and stripes and come with the holes in the color to attach (or not attach) collars. I have a few plain white vintage shirts like this but when it gets into colors and stripes they just go for so much money on ebay usually. I generally just buy modern shirts with white attached collars as a nod (just for myself I suppose) to that older style that I find so appealing. I'd love to find some other more regular or slim fit collarless shirts that have the collar stud holes in front and back. For a bit I was getting victorian/old west shirts but those are also cut so full/blousey that it's really 6 of one or half dozen of the other. Although I do prefer the straight vertical striped front of the 20's styled Peterman shirts to the diagonal or horizonal striped chest of victorian/old west shirts.
aaah the search continues..

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I had recently got the J. Peterman tweed jacket. The body was cut a little full and the shoulder pads in it made me look too wide across the already wide shoulders and the sleeves were a couple of inches too long for a proper look. But, the construction was well done and the tweed was Harris Tweed so I couldn't go wrong. All in all a nice jacket to work with.
So I took it to our local tailor. His name is Michael Bozo, no kidding. He's 82 and has been doing this since he was 18 in Europe, so when I talked to him about what I was looking for concerning higher arm holes & fit, he knew exactly what I wanted. I can't wait to get it back and see what he has done.:)

Cheers!

Dan

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Doug C said:
I am bugged about the whole drawn picture thing now though, and not sure if I'll be getting anything else from them because of it...
I could never buy from the catalog illustrations, but I did pick up a few things from their short lived store at Grand Central. On the whole I think that their stuff is fairly priced.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Beware the seller with nothing more than drawings and some flowery prose to sell the product, instead of letting the product sell itself.

Peterman's strongest point is marketing.

SGB

One of the Regulars
Artwork

The only reason I get the catalogs is for the illustrations, if they go to photos I won't bother. But, I never buy anything because the stuff is overpriced for made in China goods, and poor quality too.

SGB

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally