Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's the summer of 39....

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will kick off summer screening series, “Hollywood’s Greatest Year: The Best Picture Nominees of 1939,” on Monday, May 18, with a big-screen presentation of “Gone with the Wind.” The 10-film 70th anniversary celebration, which will run through August 3, showcases all of the Best Picture nominees from a landmark year that saw the release of an exceptional number of outstanding films. All screenings will be held on Monday evenings at 7:30 p.m. at the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater.

May 18 “Gone with the Wind”
June 1 “Stagecoach”
June 8 “Wuthering Heights”
June 15 “Dark Victory”
June 22 “Love Affair”
June 29 “Goodbye, Mr. Chips”
July 13 “Ninotchka”
July 20 “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington”
July 27 “Of Mice and Men”
August 3 “The Wizard of Oz”

http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleases/2009/20090505a.html

carter

I'll Lock Up
These would take all the guesswork out of what to do on Monday evenings for ten weeks if I lived in the area. Great line-up!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Found over at the Cartoon Brew site, a list of the cartoons that will be shown with this series:

Stagecoach - June 1 - THE FILM FAN (Porky Pig)
Wuthering Heights - June 8 - THE POINTER (nominee) (Mickey & Pluto)
Gunga Din - June 12 - MUGS WITH DIRTY THUGS (Tex Avery)
Dark Victory - June 15 - DANGEROUS DAN MCFOO (Tex Avery)
Love Affair - June 22 - DETOURING AMERICA (nominee) (Tex Avery)
Goodbye Mr. Chips - June 29 - PEACE ON EARTH (nominee) (MGM)
Ninotchka - July 13 - THE AUTOGRAPH HOUND (Donald Duck)
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington - July 20 - SCRAPPY’S ADDED ATTRACTION (Columbia)
The Wizard Of Oz August 3 - THE UGLY DUCKLING - (Oscar winner) (Silly Symphony)

Gee, it's too bad that I'm on the wrong coast...

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I saw Gone with the Wind in the theater several years ago when it was restored. It's worth seeing on the big screen.

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
I started Mr. Smith Goes to Washington today in class... it's very good. Maybe I'll go see it in the theater, that'd be interesting.
Thank you for sharing!

(I've never seen Gone with the Wind, at all. Is it good?)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Victor Fleming

This is only semi-related, but I didn't want to start a new thread...

Ever wonder about Victor Fleming, the under-documented guy who is credited as director on both of 1939's most enduring films, Gone With the Wind and The Wizard of Oz?

In a lifetime of reading about Hollywood, all I have ever been able to find out about him was that he was a fairly undistinguished workman who mostly did man's-man adventure pictures. But there was clearly more to him than that... See this fascinating, perceptive article at The New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2009/05/25/090525crat_atlarge_denby?currentPage=1

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Re: 1939 Retrospective

At the Los Angeles County Museum of Art in 1989, they screened all those films as a fiftieth anniversary retrospective. There were many Friday and Saturday nights where I dragged a bunch of friends there to let them see what a Golden Age film was like on the big screen.

As I recall, a handout from the series explained that one reason 1939 saw the release and production of so many outstanding films was the sizeable number of directors, actors, writers, etc., fleeing the Nazis. Not that every European expat landed a high-profile position, but it swelled the ranks of Hollywood studios with even more talent, which allowed for greater output.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld