Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's disappointing when....

Pilgrim

One Too Many
An auction on something you're REALLY been waiting for goes crazy with four days left.

It's even worse when one of the bidders driving up the price has feedback of (-1).

Ebay Link Removed -- Matt Deckard

:cry:

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Not only is that one disappointing - but I just bid on a slightly dirty Whippet and the bid jumped from $36 to $108 in the last 5 seconds of the auction.

Wow. Bargains are harder to find!

photobyalan

A-List Customer
I sympathize with you, Pilgrim, but please edit your original post and remove the link to the active auction.

See this thread.

The great thing about ebay is that there is almost nothing truly unique in the world and, in all likelihood, another one of whatever you didn't win will come along before too much time has passed. Patience.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Auction Price

Pilgrim,

1. The negative (-1) feedback person doesn't appear to me to be be a big issue, the current leading bidder appears heading for a buy it at any price kind of attitude.

2. Interesting that current leader has no, checkable current auction trends to track. Nothing for months then all of a sudden I gotta have that 7 1/4 Open Road.

3. Is this a style/size you've been seeking for a long time?

4. IMO don't like hat auctions with only one camera shot & not a very good one coupled with take sellers stated descriptiion as gospel.

5. Hat price has dedinitely moved beyond a "good deal" range into "hat fever" territory.

Peter :rolleyes:

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Sorry about those typos there, Photobyalan you mean that dirty Whippet sold for that price? Really needed a major clean up job on that lid.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Solid Citizen said:
2. Interesting that current leader has no, checkable current auction trends to track. Nothing for months then all of a sudden I gotta have that 7 1/4 Open Road.

Makes you wonder if the current leader is a shill bidder for the seller. Then again, maybe not. I recently sold an overcoat that went for a high price. The winner entered a bidding war and wouldn't back out. He had practically no feedback and hadn't bid on anything for nearly two years. Guess what? The fellow was legit and paid promptly. It goes without saying that he wasn't a shill bidder working for me.

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Runaway hat market

I have noticed that the vintage hat craze is now in full bloom! A few months ago when I became interested in vintage hats I bought a Whippet, a Stratoliner, some Resistols, all for around $40.00-50.00. Lately the average price for a Vintage Stetson or Borsie is over $100.00. Besides that you can't see it coming because the high bidders are all sniping at the last possible second.

Let's hope this trend will abate or I'll stick to custom hats and own fewer hats, not bad idea...

jeboat:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Matt, sorry that I was slow to re-visit the thread and get your message. I will learn for the future and avoid repetitions!

Yup, that purchase price is definitely in the hat fecer category. I've been looking for a nice grey Open Road in 7 1/4 for some months - unfortunately let one get away in November for about $80.

Now this one jumps up over $100 with four days left - I hope the person who wants it that bad get it - and is out of my way the next time around. If that's the price level they're all going to go, I'd better just get used to wearing my tan (Silver Belly) Open Road.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I like to keep the price stickers on (the inside of) my hats that I bought at thrift stores to remind of what good finds they were....$1 for my Stetson Open Road...ahhhhh.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I hear you. Here's the thing that I REALLY regret....

When I bought my Open Road, the seller had two - both my size - one grey, one silver belly. They each sold for about $30 - but I didn't bid on the grey one. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

And they were both in Denver (just 60 miles away), so I picked them up the next week and didn't even have to pay for shipping.

Boy, did I miss a deal THAT time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally