Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Island of Lost Souls

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Did anyone else catch Island of Lost Souls (1933) on TCM Friday night? I was pleasantly surprised! It's the original Island of Dr. Moreau. The print was flawless....no scratches or dust. The creature costumes and make-up were incredible. It was one heck of a spooky movie! It's too bad it's not out on DVD.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I have seen it. It is a stronger movie than it's remakes. There is some crazy footage in there. A lot of old time make-up artists worked on it. There were given almost free reign to create the wildest make-up they could by whay we call "out-of-the-case", meaning nothing premade. There were no molded appliances like today. They just went for it.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Good grief!:eusa_doh: If I had known that was on I would have recorded it. It's one of my favorite 30s films! Ah,well...I've noticed that sometimes when these rare films are shown on TCM they soon afterwards make their debut on DVD.

Laughton is terrific as usual and Lugosi as the sayer of the law has one of his best parts although it's quite a brief one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally