Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this a cardigan or what?

Fidena

One of the Regulars
18827a.preview.jpg

I mean, it looks like one, but it has a lot of differences. Are there any clothing manufacturers that still make these? I'm talking about the guy in the upper right.

Tiller

Practically Family
Maybe it's just my computer old boy, but I've refreshed it a few times, and I still don't see any picture :p. As far as does anyone manufacturer cardigan sweaters, I'm sure they do, but I couldn't find any when I last looked in the local stores. I think L.L. Bean sells them though, and I'm sure other places online sell them as well.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I've edited to OP so the image shows up. It's from Shorpy, and can be found in full here - http://www.shorpy.com/node/9106?

That is a shawl collar cardigan. He has the collar turned up and buttoned higher. It's the same style as the man below him, whose collar is down and he hasn't buttoned the smaller storm button. The front row seems to be an excellent reference for different ways to wear the same basic sweater. Each guy is wearing it a little differently. They were quite popular on sporting fields in the teens-20's. You can still find them today. Peterman offers one in colder months. Also see later in this thread for more.
I have one from the early 80's by Ralph Lauren.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
From the picture, and other pics of this style of sweater, it seems that the top button loop is always the first thing to go, followed by the elbows and the edges of the lapels. Since these sweaters were used before the invention of the satiny material covered sports jacket (you know, team jackets), they probably got a lot of wear. And I would bet that having a really mangled one was a sign of prowess.
I'll bet very few of them have survived for that reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe