Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is anyone here a Journalist?

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
Me, too, long ago. Also got a bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Missouri, if you've got any college or course questions.

These days, I don't even look at the "news."

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Just a bartender note: It's best for all members if thread titles are specific as to content of the thread itself. Thread titles such as "Question." really cheat the original poster as it won't draw readers the same way "Please help me find this missing button."

Thread title here changed from "Random Question" to "Is anyone here a Journalist?"

Thanks.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I am a long time TV journalist who moved into teaching journalism and new media at a college about 4 years ago. I still go back to work at the local ABC affiliate now and again. It is something you simply can't get out of your blood.

'Nother ex here, albeit only high-school and college papers. Positively Dickensian about "the best of times, the worst of times"...

That said--no offense intended, BRS--I couldn't be paid enough to go back. EDIT--well maybe, if it was for a year or less, under specific conditions, and I was guaranteed enough to finance an "Old Dog"* build post-taxes and the airframe to do it on.
*Think a stealthed, hotrodded B-52, for you who aren't Dale Brown fans.

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - The Asteroid Field
via FoxyTunes

Bassman

A-List Customer
dr greg said:
well according to Zappa anyway, I was a rock journalist for about 6 years

Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read.
Frank Zappa, quoted in Linda Botts, "Loose Talk" (1980);)

Mon Amour

New in Town
Thank you all very much for your response. Well the reason I ask Undertow is because I interested in a career path and I need a mentor for guidance.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mon Amour said:
Thank you all very much for your response. Well the reason I ask Undertow is because I interested in a career path and I need a mentor for guidance.

Consider contacting your local newspaper for a tour; no kidding, I was able to get one. If you're in college (or high school) you'll want to start writing for the paper. The college paper will be much more fulfilling, of course. Get to know the photographers and editors; in my experience, those were the guys that could get me stories and that could guide my hand.

And although I'm sure there are some who would heatedly disagree with me, consider reading, and rereading, novels by Hunter Thompson; specifically Hell's Angels. Some folks don't appreciate his style of writing, but the man, a journalist, was able to take a largely uninteresting or vile subject and make it quite entertaining. I was greatly inspired by his journalism.

Another pointer: Journalism itself is easy, it's good journalism that's hard--by which I mean accurately presenting all sides (with respectable representatives from each, not like bringing in a well-polished spokesman to represent liberals and a raving Bircher maniac for the "conservative" viewpoint) and setting personal bias aside as much as possible.

That whole challenge of setting personal involvement aside and trying to find credible representatives from all sides for a balanced representation is what the pros get the bucks for (or at least should, for the ones who strive to meet that challenge--the ones who don't are just as bad as the "Yellow Journalists" of the Hearst/Pulitzer era IMO).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld