Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is anyone big on wearing clothing from the 1920's...or 1930's?

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
The 1940's is so popular...I suppose it is much more plentiful then 1920's or 1930's, but the cut on 1940's clothing for me is all wrong and I am always having to get them altered in someway. 1920's is what I started out collecting, and it is what I have most of, yet my real decade is 1930's because of the long, lean bias cut. No 1930's garment I have ever bought had to altered.

So does anyone wear the earlier decades on an everyday basis? Hardly anyone posts pictures of themselves in 1920's stuff. Any modern day flappers in here?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I love the 20s! I have a real 20s dress, but it's unwearable due to delicate fabric. I'd like to maybe someday get and exact repro done. I got married in a dress from the 1930s. I bought it in an antique store years before I met my husband so it's not a "traditional" wedding dress. It's a cotton dress with mint green and pink checks. I love it. To see my 20s look, just look on page 2 of the "Show us your hair dos" thread.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Amy Jeanne said:
I love the 20s! I have a real 20s dress, but it's unwearable due to delicate fabric. I'd like to maybe someday get and exact repro done. I got married in a dress from the 1930s. I bought it in an antique store years before I met my husband so it's not a "traditional" wedding dress. It's a cotton dress with mint green and pink checks. I love it. To see my 20s look, just look on page 2 of the "Show us your hair dos" thread.

Your wedding dress sounds so cute! Is the 1920's dress that you which is delicate silk? I find that alot silk chiffon from that era to be extreamly delicate, some to the point where it is literally disintergrating, I think this is because they used to weight the silk to save money. I have some dresses like that, not so much that are falling apart, but that are too delicate to wear on an everyday basis. I have a lot dresses that are that burn out velvet/straight velvet from the 1920's that I only wear on speciel occasions, but then I also have some great dresses which I can wear on an everyday basis, they are made out of heavy silk crepe and cotton, these dresses are very hearty and very wearable.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
The 1920's and 30's were wonderful, and I have quite a few dresses for each decade. I wish I could wear more of it, but I've never been able to find too many day dresses or casual dresses, and that is what I really need. It's been a little better lately, especially in the 30's, so I've been wearing more out, after I've had them dry cleaned and whatnot. Actually, I have a 1930's suit type dress, with this to-die-for cut, that I get complimented most often on. In reagards to being a modern day flapper though, I'm not, as I much prefer and -try- to exemplify the ideals of the 1900's-1910's...but I do love the clothes. :)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Yes, my 20s dress is silk. I can put it on, but I must be VERY careful. It doesn't tear with the touch, but any type of pulling will tear it. I already have small tears under the arms from taking it on and off. There's also a lace bodice insert in the front that has gone completely brown! It's not crumbling, though. The dress is GORGEOUS. I have a few photos of myself in it and it looks so great in pictures! Especially when I had a Louise Brooks bob and my long strand of pearls! I really do want to get a reproduction of it done one day. If I ever got that done, I would wear the dress as everyday wear.

I rarely wear real vintage -- only for special occasions. Most of my everyday wear is modern, but vintage-esque.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Sounds like you got that weighted silk, its so sad to see beautiful dresses like that that are literally falling apart. I wish I could go back in time and knock some sense into the fabric makers. I have found the best sorce for 1920's day dresses is Ebay.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I had two other dresses from the 1920s at one point. One was sold to me in "Good" condition from a seller online. I thought it was too good to pass up so I bought it. When I got it it literally teared with the touch. I couldn't return it because all sales were final. I think I ended up having to throw it away -- it tore from it's own weight hanging on a hanger. That was ashame because it had the most lovely art deco stripes going across the bottom. It was beyond restoring and I couldn't resell it. The other dress that I once had was in pretty good condition, though it was yellowed and the pleated skirt had tears in it. I ended up selling it on ebay to someone who restored such garments so I know it went to a good home.

Mojito

One Too Many
I love the 1920s too, NicolettaRose. Not just the fashions, but also the music, culture, art and literature (not to mention the cocktails). I've just returned from the Art Deco festival in Napier, where I was able to wear a whole wardrobe of day and evening wear from that period and had an absolute blast! (I'll write it up with photos once my friends give me the discs of images they took).

My collection ranges from pieces that are utterly fragile (some so much so I wouldn't even slip them over my head, others that might be good for a photograph or two but no more) to heavy silk crepes like the ones you mention that are quite sturdy. I tend not to use them as daily wear, however - over time, exposure to sunlight, bodily oils, stress and wear will break down the fibres. Repros are fine. My authentic pieces get 'cycled' and not worn too often. The heavier beaded dresses also get the conservation box treatment.

Ebay is great if you know the market, read dealer feedback and read descriptions very carefully. It allows you to access a tremendous, daily-changing influx of stock, and you can fill almost any hole in your collection up to a certain quality. I buy a *lot* from them. However, I tend to go with store front dealers if it's a high-end investment piece. It's also fun seeing pieces before you buy them, so I love visiting vintage dealers in person.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Most of the repros I make are 1930's. I also love the late 20's, but usually the dresses from those eras are so fragile that I wouldn't wear authentic pieces all the time- sometimes for very special occasions where I know I won't be doing something strenuous.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
It's 30s for us (me and the boyfriend) most of the time.

I did and still occasionally do WW2 events but mainly we are really focussed on doing lots more 1930s Living History Events.

These pics don't have me in them but shows a bit of what we're all about:

Earlier 1930s

crocket.jpg

A bit later

host.jpg

A general one including some of the chaps

picnic.jpg

This was at Oxborough Hall in Norfolk, England. Our theme was a 1930s Country House Picnic. We all had characters and played it first person with the public. It was great fun.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Wow, I absolutely love the blue dress Miss Sis!

I've always strayed from decades earlier than the 40's because, though I love the fashions, I've always thought they would never look right on me. Recently I bought a late 1930's dress, and I love it, even though I am far from "long and lean". I always thought the 30's suited one particular body type that was far from mine, but the dress I bought shows me I can pull it off nicely! It's exciting to have a whole new decade to explore!

However, as for the 20's, I doubt that would ever work for me.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Great pics, Miss Sis, I hope you got to eat some of that food!

All that I know about the 1930's is that the cut of the dresses is absolutely to die for, I have never had a dress that I did not have to alter. 1920's stuff fits me fine, but I don't think I have the exact body type for it, since I do have the body of a woman and not a young boy, so 1920's fashions fit me, but are not the most flattering. 1930's are great because I am 32D/C-24-34, so with the bias cut, it is tucked in enough at the waist, hips, and but gives enough bust accomodation :) I have some nice garments from the 1940's as well, but often they are cut large in the hips and in the sholders, and the designs often overwhelm me (I'm 5'3).

Also the 1930's exudes a elegance and a classiness that the 1940's does not have. The 1920's is elegant in many ways, but a lot more playful,and less "grown up" sophsiticated.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
You do look lovely, Miss Sis!

My fashion interest lies in the mid-1930s, extending into the mid-1940s. I find that bias cut gowns look lovely on my hourglass build; they were cut for women like Jean Harlow, who had curvy figures and narrow waists, and the artfully draped fabrics maximized their builds. I do think it is important to point out that when you are wearing clothes in your proper size, they will fit well regardless of the era they were produced in. On the whole, 1940s clothing is actually quite tailored and elegant, especially during WWII, due to fabric rationing; full skirts were frowned upon as unpatriotic, if you will. Perhaps you are thinking of the "New Look," which began in 1947 and is what is most associated with the 1950s. These longer skirts, which were often fuller circle skirts, are much more voluminous then previous eras. But then again, the pencil skirt also reigned here, so formfitting outfits were certainly in vogue as well.

But I digress…I do have a deep appreciation for fashions of the 1930s; that particular era is delightfully glamorous in contrast to the general social mood. Fashion certainly provided an escape from reality, just as it does now. :)

Here is a photo of me in one of my favorite 1930s gowns:
47b5d725b3127cce93aa3ffc0f3400000016108AatmbRq2ctP

And another shot of it worn with an ostrich feather capelet from the 1920s-30s:
47b5d725b3127cce93aa3f218ed900000015108AatmbRq2ctP

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Miss Sis said:
Actually, here's me and my friend Kit being the maids. I'm the tall one.

We're doing more events this year so I hope we will get more photos. At the next event I won't be a maid!

maids.jpg

Love that one Miss Sis, it's perfect! Like out of an English movie! :D
and the food doesn't look too bad either ;)

Mojito

One Too Many
All these gorgeous 30s dresses are just about enough to tempt me to try the odd outfit outside the 20s! I do like those long, high-waisted velvet gowns - just the thing when you're tall.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Love your clothing, jitterbug doll!

The thirties to me is the most elegant decade in the 20th century. Please gals, most more pics, I wanna see!

Here is a pic of me in late 30's

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

Moi in 1920's

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
The thirties to me is the most elegant decade in the 20th century. Please gals, most more pics, I wanna see!

Here is a pic of me in late 30's

Considering that the fashion of the late 1930s transitioned into the early 1940s, those years are one in the same when it comes down to the general look.

Another one of my late 30s dresses:
448cb14e2ba46.jpg
47b6d633b3127cce8c66f5dca30500000025108AatmbRq2ctP

Here is a killer earlier 30s gown in raspberry iridescent taffeta; this one has a strong Crawford-esque feel:
NewImage.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken