Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is acrylic topcoat necessary on newly dyed leather?

Monte.C

New in Town
Is this the right place for this?
Some time ago I stripped and re-dyed a vintage leather jacket. This was before I knew anything about leather, and I used Fiebing's resolene to finish because that's what "they" say to do.
IMG_3733.JPG

I don't like the glossy result, but I've discovered Angelus has flat and satin finish options.
By chance I found another one identical, but in better shape than the first!
IMG_3739.JPG

I plan on the same treatment - stripping and re-dye.
Question: Is a clear coat of anything required, maybe to eliminate any bleed? Doesn't that inhibit absorption of a conditioner? Doing this without acrylic seems like such a "natural" way - just dyed leather, then oiled/waxed with a leather conditioner. I'm not concerned about "the environment" but I like the idea of not putting a plastic topcoat.

Oh there's the other thing: The conditioner is oil and wax. Doesn't that itself protect from dye bleeding to your clothes?
Thanks all.

Last edited:

PilotJens

A-List Customer
It depends on the leather and how good the dye is absorbed. If you use the dye too concentrated then a lot of dye will dry on the surface and rub of .
You can seal it with wax but waxes can also rub off .
I think CXL can also rub on to light colored clothes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPDuran