Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ironing rayon/gabardine shirts?

repeatclicks

Practically Family
I just received a rather wrinkled 50s loop collar in the mail and the color, I have to say, is one of the best burgundy/wine colors Ive ever seen.

I want to make sure the shirt isnt damaged when I iron it. I know that ironing on high heat with rayon is a big no no and it can also cause shine to appear on the fabric.

Whats the best way to get this shirt wrinkle free without damaging it?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Placing a damp cloth over the material you want to iron is also a useful technique. It gives you the steam, and insulates the material from scorching. I'd experiment on a fairly durable material just to get the hang of it, tho.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
So do the local dry cleaners. ;) :p

Hey, I live in the land of the credit crunch! Besides, I need to find a new dry cleaners as the one we were going to...er....I dont think they were cleaning the clothes.

repeatclicks said:
Hey, I live in the land of the credit crunch! Besides, I need to find a new dry cleaners as the one we were going to...er....I dont think they were cleaning the clothes.

My dry cleaners charges about a buck to clean and press a shirt. If you can find a similar cleaners there that actually clean the shirts then it is worth it. :D
I wouldn't clean and iron a shirt for a buck---even if I knew how in the first place. ;) :p

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Actually ironing a shirt is a snap. I'm pretty sure there's something posted here that explains it (actually, I might have written it myself). I used to have a very nice Sunday evening ritual of ironing dress shirts for the week.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
A buck eh? Well that all depends on where you reside my friend... Over here, it'll cost you $1.60, or a Quid, or more likely four quid because its London.

Annnnyway, I just wanted to make sure I didnt put a hot iron on rayon, unless of course I wanted it to look shiny, which I didnt. In the end, I was successful with my iron, and the shirt is now wrinkle free and non shiny.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
Placing a damp cloth over the material you want to iron is also a useful technique. It gives you the steam, and insulates the material from scorching. I'd experiment on a fairly durable material just to get the hang of it, tho.

Thanks, I read this somewhere online too. Im used to ironing cotton shirts, but I wanted to be careful with rayon as I know its touchy.

repeatclicks said:
A buck eh? Well that all depends on where you reside my friend... Over here, it'll cost you $1.60, or a Quid, or more likely four quid because its London.

Annnnyway, I just wanted to make sure I didnt put a hot iron on rayon, unless of course I wanted it to look shiny, which I didnt. In the end, I was successful with my iron, and the shirt is now wrinkle free and non shiny.

Four Quid!? Geez! Waaaayyy too much.
Any pictures of the completed project? Loop colar shirts are cool enough to see just because they are loop colar shirts. :D

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Yep, here it is. Its not perfectly ironed out yet, but boy Im glad I threw a bid on this one! Wrong description (said it was 60s), horrible photo and full of wrinkles...

Before:
G2SM20a755a2-f66d-4e91-bef3-bd1220871282-8085.jpg

After!
IMG_5202.jpg

You just dont see a color like this one come up often, and in such great nick! Just needs the Penneys tag sewn back on properly. Has a nice super subtle purple to it in the sun. Cant describe it!

YETI

A-List Customer
They just don't make rayon/wool gabardine like they used to. I was wondering if it's because of that Dupont factory burning down. Or was it a family mansion that kept the formula that burned. Aloha shirts were never the same after that. And even the Sun Surf ones from Japan can't compare to vintage.
nice shirt, btw

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
YETI said:
They just don't make rayon/wool gabardine like they used to. I was wondering if it's because of that Dupont factory burning down. Or was it a family mansion that kept the formula that burned. Aloha shirts were never the same after that. And even the Sun Surf ones from Japan can't compare to vintage.
nice shirt, btw

I disagree about the Sun Surf shirts. I own originals of a couple of designs they've reproduced, and when I've compared the my originals to Sun Surf's repops, my impression has been "this is what my shirt likely felt like 60 years ago" or "this repop will likely feel like my original when it gets some decades on it."

Oh, yeah - don't iron rayon gabardine. You can, but steam does the trick on them so well, and is so much safer for the garment...

dhermann1 said:
The thing about stains and dry cleaning is that sometimes the dry cleaner permanantly fuses the stain in, rather than getting it out.

Oh, they won't get the jacket until I have got the stains out. I'll still have them dry clean it but I want it fairly clean first.
My first soak and wash did fairly well. It dimished and faded the stain but another soak and wash should do the trick pretty well. :D

Feraud

Bartender
jamespowers said:
Oh, they won't get the jacket until I have got the stains out. I'll still have them dry clean it but I want it fairly clean first.
My first soak and wash did fairly well. It dimished and faded the stain but another soak and wash should do the trick pretty well. :D
Can I ask what you used on that Palm Beach jacket or is it a trade secret?
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld