Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRISH forum members

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've noticed recently a greater influx of members from the Emerald Isle of both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland - and it's "grand" to see!!:eusa_clap

At some point, we're intending to have an official Lounge Gathering in either Dublin or Belfast (or both at some point), and sure won't the craic be good!.

So who all here is from Ireland then...?

I'll start off, my name's Paddy and I've been a member here for five or six years now.

I'm originally from a 'wee' place called Holywood in County Down, Northern Ireland (or Norn Iron - as some would say!).

All being well, I'll be over in Dublin's fair city at the end of November (I really must try the auld barber shop that Brian goes to!).

Maguire

Practically Family
My passport is coming in the mail in a few months at best. Then I'll be able to respond to this thread properly, hopefully from Clare, Kerry or West Limerick. ;)

Edward

Bartender
Ohhh, now.... that's fightin' talk... lol

Another Irish here, County Antrim born, left the Old County in 1999 to move to Blighty for work, been there ever since. Never lost the accent, though! ;) I would certainly be interested in a trip over to the old country; November is a little too soon for me, but some time next year would be grand. Don't know about St P's day, Dublin's a bit crowded then!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Way back on my mothers side - 1723 or even before - my family either came from Scotland or Ireland. They were weavers and were more or less voluntarely "imported" by the danish king - to get the quality weaving business going.
So my family history goes - but I guesse that isn't enough to qualify.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
Quit begging.;)
Oh no - not a chance, mate. I am danish all the way. (And I know it.)
Just thought - with so many others half or 1/8 part Irish - I would tell my familystory too.;)

On the other hand - just imagine how much danish/viking blood there is in irish families...?

Vanessa

One Too Many
Good Scots-Irish stock here...if from way back. I believe our family jumped the pond about 1600ish ;)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Well I'm located in the U.S. (Texas, to be precise), but I'm Irish-American and I've got the dance skills to prove it. lol My great-grandparents and my grandmother emigrated to the US sometime in the 1910s, from Co. Meath.

Edward

Bartender
Lamplight said:
Heck, many if not most Americans have at least some Irish blood in the family!

MMn, though in my experiencce there's a fair few claim Irish heritage on little more than 'grandma ate a potato once' status. lol

Spitfire said:
On the other hand - just imagine how much danish/viking blood there is in irish families...?

Oh, plenty, I'd say. There was a big Viking settlement around what eventually became Dublin. I have Norse ancestry way back on my Mother's side, though if memory serves that ended up in Ireland via Scotland over many generations. They say that the reason a lot of Irish boys round the North have dark eyes goes back to Spanish Armada sailors who abandoned their sinking ships, swam ashore and met local girls..... My dark eyes come from my maternal grandmother's side - her grandmother was Spanish, and the genes have been passed down four generations to me. Whatever nonsense the idiots obsessed with "pure blood" or white supremacy have come up with ove the years, ultimately we're all mongrels!

jwalls

Vendor
Most of my folks were Scots, and Irish traders who settled among the Cherokee and Creek communities in what would eventually become Georgia circa 1700. So, Irish I most certainly am.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
None in me, I'm getting the name though. And I already have red hair. But only casual observers would really buy it.

I am one of those apparently rare Americans with absolutely NO Irish in me, I'm just marrying up. :D

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
MMn, though in my experiencce there's a fair few claim Irish heritage on little more than 'grandma ate a potato once' status. lol

Similarly, I've learned that all rednecks (at least here) have Native American blood in their families. 99.9% of the time it's Cherokee. Those Cherokee must have been pretty busy there for a while!

matei

One Too Many
I'm half-Irish, so do I count? ;)

We moved here from Ireland almost 5 years ago... we try to go back every so often to see friends.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
Oh no - not a chance, mate. I am danish all the way. (And I know it.)On the other hand - just imagine how much danish/viking blood there is in irish families...?

:beer: lol

Edward said:
though in my experiencce there's a fair few claim Irish heritage on little more than 'grandma ate a potato once' status. lol ultimately we're all mongrels!

Spake for y'self!:D :eek: ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld