Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Intriguing '20s(?) sports coat

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Found this jacket on Etsy and it was cheap, so I bought it. Pics are pretty poor but the seller states that the label has the date "4-1-?8". I'm guessing that's '28?

Anyways, some unique features to this jacket: straight line lapels, french cuffs, pleated patch pockets, and, most interesting, pleats running down the back. I can't tell if there's a belted back but I'm thinking not. Also, dual vents. Odd jacket. Buttons have been moved.

What do you think?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/170762390/mens-vintage-1940s-double-breasted-suit

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Very interesting! I really like the pleated shoulders and pockets. It looks like the buttons were moved because the spacing between the pockets is uneven. Is it a belted back? When it arrives please post more pictures.

carldelo

One Too Many
A little weird, pretty cool. But unless the jacket was buttoned incorrectly for the photos, isn't this a ladies jacket?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Very interesting! I really like the pleated shoulders and pockets. It looks like the buttons were moved because the spacing between the pockets is uneven. Is it a belted back? When it arrives please post more pictures.

Yup, buttons were moved. I don't think there's a belt.

A little weird, pretty cool. But unless the jacket was buttoned incorrectly for the photos, isn't this a ladies jacket?

I believe it to be buttoned wrong in the photos. The seller is a woman so she's likely used to buttoning jackets right-over-left. And the jacket was listed in the men's section of her shop. Plus it's a fairly large size. Definitely a man's jacket.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
"an old tailor in New York City in the 1960s who made absolutely perfect reproduction pieces for a specific client, often out of vintage 1920s and 1930s fabric."

I think you're on to something. My father (b.1914) came of age in the 30s and kept wearing that style his entire life. He had the same tailor, Lawrence Pucci, for over sixty years and his last commissions in the 90s were indistinguishable from those of the 30s. I don't think it was that uncommon for men to do that.

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
A great looking jacket regardless of the date, and a neat piece of fashion history. I wonder how the better modern reproduction stuff will confuse people in a couple of decades?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Nice jacket. I'd wear it. I don't worry about whether something was made in 1928, 1968 or 2008, as long as it's the style I like.

I agree on Dinerman's point about modern reproductions. I have one suit (made for me in the early 1990s) that I would expect to fool a lot of people, especially since it was made with vintage linings. I think most people with a real eye for vintage would spot it as repro, but it would get past a lot of people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe