Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Information on "Today's Man" of Londo

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
kbadr said:
I've been trying to find out if I got a good deal on a suit I bought on ebay. Well, actually, I know I got a good deal. I just don't know how good of a deal.

I got a Today's Man three-piece 8 or 9 months ago off of eBay. It's my first three-piece suit and it fits almost perfectly. The material feels very nice, but I am unable to find any information about Today's Man (except for a thread on here where someone mentioned that it went 'tits up')

Was Today's Man a decent clothes store? I really like the suit I got, so my opinion of it won't change. I'm just curious if the seller on eBay was exaggerating when he said it was a $800 suit. By the way, I got it for $40.

I don't know anything specific, but Today's man sounds like something from the seventies or early eighties. If that is the case, it might be a very fine suit, but probably wouldn't have a lot of value in terms of resale.

But if you like the suit, it doesn't matter much about that. It might be very high quality and that is what counts.

Jovan

Suspended
Can we see pictures of it? You're probably fine as long as it's 100% wool or any other natural fibre.

Welcome to the world of three piece suits! You'll be hooked.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
kbadr said:
I've been trying to find out if I got a good deal on a suit I bought on ebay. Well, actually, I know I got a good deal. I just don't know how good of a deal.

I got a Today's Man three-piece 8 or 9 months ago off of eBay. It's my first three-piece suit and it fits almost perfectly. The material feels very nice, but I am unable to find any information about Today's Man (except for a thread on here where someone mentioned that it went 'tits up')

Was Today's Man a decent clothes store? I really like the suit I got, so my opinion of it won't change. I'm just curious if the seller on eBay was exaggerating when he said it was a $800 suit. By the way, I got it for $40.

the $800 part is probably an exaggeration...but think about it this way...you got a suit that fits you near perfectly for a fraction of the cost of the cheapest, worst fitting suit you can find today...

kbadr

Familiar Face
Jovan said:
Can we see pictures of it? You're probably fine as long as it's 100% wool or any other natural fibre.

The tag says 100% Pure Wool, and it's made in London.

I don't have many good photos, but I do have these:

1559288647_l.jpg

l_394fce71639057031f13cc3cff977d84.jpg

(Yes, I am aware that I shouldn't have worn a black hat with a light brown suit...but it's the only hat I had at the time. I'm currently looking around for a nice brown fedora)

Jovan said:
Welcome to the world of three piece suits! You'll be hooked.
Oh, I am. I'm constantly on the hunt for a new one (mostly to perform in), but Austin's vintage market is lack-luster at best.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
kbadr said:
Was Today's Man a decent clothes store?
I visited their 5th Ave store only once in the mid-90's but I recall them being a bit pricier and more fashionable than Jos A. Bank while being of comparable quality.

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
kbadr said:
The tag says 100% Pure Wool, and it's made in London.

1559288647_l.jpg

(Yes, I am aware that I shouldn't have worn a black hat with a light brown suit...but it's the only hat I had at the time. I'm currently looking around for a nice brown fedora)

Just let her have the hat back and we'll overlook it this time. :eusa_clap

Kevin

slicedbread

A-List Customer
lol, seems like some people are in want of some lovin in their lives...

kbadr, that suit looks great on you! A great find to be sure. Also, if you ever find a vest with four pockets as opposed to two, I'd urge you to try it on and see how you like the look of it...I find the four pocket configuration more preferable to the eye than the two pocket.

As a side note, I think that black hat goes very well with you as an individual as it draws off your hair color and skin tone...very complimentary.

kbadr

Familiar Face
slicedbread said:
Also, if you ever find a vest with four pockets as opposed to two, I'd urge you to try it on and see how you like the look of it...I find the four pocket configuration more preferable to the eye than the two pocket.

I actually rather like the look of a four-pocket vest myself. I just haven't found one yet. I'll end up with one when I inevitably order a suit from Magnoli.

As a side note, I think that black hat goes very well with you as an individual as it draws off your hair color and skin tone...very complimentary.
Thank you. I like it...but I did just pick up a dark brown version of the same hat this weekend. Now I've got my bases covered (unless I get a very light-colored suit, which I don't see happening any time soon)

John K Stetson

One of the Regulars
Today's Man - retail

Today's Man was a chain of retail men's clothing stores. I don't know where all the shops were, but I do know they had several in Philadelphia, South Jersey and New York City. Back when I shopped there - quite a while ago - they carried name brand suits - Daniel Hechter, YSL and many others. I fondly recall a couple of three piece flannel suts - one navy, one in brown with tan chalkstripes - in fabric so heavy you really didn't need central heating. I lost track of Today's Man but recall seeing they were in financial trouble. I guess they went private label during that time.

If it is private label, the original retail price could be anything - no way to compare to an identical suit in another store - and of course it would have been discounted.

Nice suit, great find!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe