Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy IV (beware... spoiler pics)

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
LC and ToD both stunk. They were overlit, over designed and badly written. LC stunk most though because it had that opening sequence with River Phoenix doing his Harrison Ford scowl on a train ride full of rubber animals. Embarrassing and truly, unbearably awful. Clearly they thought the audience was three. (And there was that hilarious "puzzle" in the Venetian library that no-one could solve for hundred of years; that was priceless.)

Raiders really was such a good film though. Too bad they didn't just get the second unit crew that shot the truck chase sequence to direct the sequels and Spielberg and Lucas could have just gone on vacation and cashed the cheques.

Jeffery Boam, who wrote LC, went on to write The Phantom - and then must have retired or something - and he has a Lethal Weapon or two on his CV as well. The Hyucks, husband and wife who wrote ToD, went on to make Howard the Duck.

Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote Raiders, may have fallen on bad times in recent years but has had a long and varied career writing films of all (and no specific) genres.

Feraud

Bartender
POTENTIAL INDY IV SPOILER!!!

POTENTIAL INDY IV SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

Based on a report from ComicCon, Karen Allen has been hanging around the set of Indy IV and was noted as commenting, "we are a big family".

Make of it what you will..

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
POTENTIAL INDY IV SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

Based on a report from ComicCon, Karen Allen has been hanging around the set of Indy IV and was noted as commenting, "we are a big family".

Make of it what you will..

I like that. :)

Doh!

One Too Many
While I think it's very cool that Karen Allen is back, I'm a little worried that Spielberg keeps stressing that this one is "for the fans." His best films are the ones he has a personal passion about (i.e. Schindler's List).

In fact, I think the best entertainment comes from writers/directors/actors trying to please nobody but themselves. For example, Chuck Jones always said that the WB cartoons were the result of the animators trying to crack each other up. Luckily for the rest of us, they had good taste.

I'm a "wait and see" kinda guy, though, so I'll wait and see how Indy 4 turns out before getting too upset.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I agree with the "for the fans" quote. When film-makers presume what someone else wants it is a mistake. It's like when cartoonists make a cartoon that they think kids want instead of one they think is good. Or making a movie as they think Kubrick would make it when they have their own different style.

Sincerely,
the Wolf

P.S. Yes, I'll definately see it anyway.;)

Edward

Bartender
Re "for the fans", maybe just me, but I'd read that as an indication that this will be a "true" IJ film, not a substandard product with the IJ brand slapped on it to sell video games - a la the Star Wars prequel trilogy. Maybe what he's really saying is "It's okay, folks, I won't let George ruin Indiana Jones as well!" lol

jake431

Practically Family
An old friend of mine has been rehearsing the fight sequences with Harrison Ford and he was telling me Harrison is quite enthusiastic about getting it right, he's in good shape, looks good and is doing all the stunt work he can himself at his age. I was pretty impressed hearing that.

I will go on record now and say I am not worried.

-Jake

Pok 9'er

New in Town
I think a good storyline would involve a quest to find lost documents from the Library of Alexandria. Lots of shady characters would be after them considering how valuable they would be and the could hold the key to some ancient machine or device that was lost to history.

jake431

Practically Family
Girl Friday said:
I agree totally, this could be about Indy looking for Big Foot, and I'd still enjoy the heck out of it!

ToD was bad, mostly because of what's her name...and the Lucas influence.

I couldn't agree more. Ironically, I've gotten into a few arguments with some Star Wars fans, who can't imagine Lucas as anything but a benevolent influence. But I think that when Spielberg says "I didn't enjoy making this movie and the best thing came out oif it was I met my wife." regarding ToD, welll, I'm glad for his marital bliss, but I can't say I'm surprised the movie suffers.

It's reassuring to hear the whole cast saying "We're having a great time!" - even if the movie is nothing more than enjoyable send off to a great character, if the actors and filmakers joy comes through the screen, then it will be a good film no matter what, imho.

-Jake

Edward

Bartender
Thing is, ToD was the first one I saw and I still enjoy it, but cetainly it is the weakest of the three. I wonder if the whole "cutesy kid" thing was Lucas' influence (seeing what he later did with SW Ep I). Not that Shortround bothered me as much as some folks (it's not exactly Jar Jar binks...), but I do prefer the films without the kid. (I wonder will he be explained in this one, incidently.... he is in ToD set in 1935, but wholly absent from Raiders - 36, and LC - 38. Not being in Raiders, well, likely the character wasn't thought of then, but still!). Definitely though George Lucas being invovled in anything makes me shudder these days.

Anyhow. Given that this is inevitably gonig to be Indy's last hurrah.... it'd be kinda cool IMO if they ended with a flash forward to the late 60s or even early 70s and his death. All the great mythical heroes had their deaths - seems to me a shame that in so many cases Hollywood's fixation with the "happy ending" precludes it.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I'm confused by the disdain Indiana Jones fans have for Temple of Doom. Yes, it is terrible, but seriously, did anyone see The Last Crusade? It's even worse - at least Temple of Doom had some menace and wasn't just a long Looney Toon.

jake431

Practically Family
jake_fink said:
I'm confused by the disdain Indiana Jones fans have for Temple of Doom. Yes, it is terrible, but seriously, did anyone see The Last Crusade? It's even worse - at least Temple of Doom had some menace and wasn't just a long Looney Toon.

I enjoyed Last Crusade, at least a lot more than Temple of Doom. My biggest problem, actually, with ToD, was that Harrison Ford seemed more like Han Solo in it; he didn't feel Indy like to me at all. Last Crusade was not as good as Raiders, but at least the character of Indiana Jones was recognizable.

-Jake

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pok 9'er said:
I think a good storyline would involve a quest to find lost documents from the Library of Alexandria. Lots of shady characters would be after them considering how valuable they would be and the could hold the key to some ancient machine or device that was lost to history.

Great idea. The lost works of Ephoros (4th century BC Athenian historian) or even all of Sappho (the only female poet from Greek antiquity, of whom we only have one complete poem, "Poikilothron' Athanat' Aphrodita" plus many fragments of others).

THAT WOULD BE PHAT.
But seriously, since you all (in the Lounge) know these films better than anyone, it seems, it would be fun to see some of you write up a script. Especially with the Library of Alexandria idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust