Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm outta here due to the women-only area happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

lareine

A-List Customer
As a female member of this site for the last several years, and with a reasonable number of posts under my belt, of course I took an interest in the suggestion of locking men out of part of the site. I voted against the idea, since I feel very uncomfortable with the idea of "special" areas of a site that are exclusive to a certain section and exclude the rest of the site's members. It was bad enough to have the cutesy suggestion of "no peeking" on the Powder Room, but the explicit exclusion of anybody with a penis seems like a backwards step to me. Men-only clubs that exclude women are a dying breed, and for good reason in most cases. I want no part of anything that suggests women need a women-only club, or to be fenced off and protected from the more unpleasant specimens of the opposite sex. I see myself as equal to any man, not as an inferior sort of human that needs special care.

As the majority of female votes have approved of this women-only club idea, it's clear that I am in the minority here, but it leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. The moderators have done a great job of managing a difficult situation and I have no quibble with them, but I don't want to be part of a community that doesn't have a flat structure for all members. I'm posting a "goodbye post" here rather than just disappearing because I want to make it clear that not all women want to lock men out of certain parts of the site, even if most do, and the creation of a "women-only" area that excludes men reflects on the FL as a whole, and on all its members. Whether you think that is a positive or negative reflection is down to you.

I've learned a lot from this site, and enjoyed reading posts from men and women. I'm not sorry that I joined, but it's time to leave now. Cheerio, folks!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Note: I have responded via PM to your very good points.

At some point we have to move beyond discussion and get things implemented. I think we are at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe