Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Think I Found My Next Project

Earp

One of the Regulars

From a 1931 Magazine Ad (low res reduced image so it will fit here):

"Note how the Glide-O-Bike's wheel is taking off the ground. She goes gliding along, fellows, and that's not all. You can bank, ground loop, stall (I bet :) ), and side-slip."

glide-o-bike_1931.jpg

Earp

One of the Regulars

Yeah, absolutely impossible with the technology of the times and especially with the rig as shown in the ad. It must've weighed a ton. It wasn't until 1961 that a successful human powered take off, flight, and landing was achieved, mostly because of the power to weight ratio of the earlier attempts. But you're right, what a sweet ad and just imagine the dreams it inspired. And probably a few injuries. :( The kinds of claims they could get away with in these early ads is pretty interesting and entertaining.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Hey, in 1931 grown men were still trying to build flying cars, rocket sleds, lawn chairs, etc. - often with zero knowledge of aeronautics and an 8th grade grasp of physics. If this bike rig even stayed together long enough to pop a wheelie, it should be considered a succ?®s d'?©stime.

D

drafttek

Getting airborne would be impossible. What they show in the ad isn't. It doesn't appear that getting airborne is the point. The wing would most likely raise the front wheel thus simulating some of the sensations of actual flight. The tail would act as more of a counterweight in helping to raise the front. While in this mushing stall careful leaning would cause it to bank and turn. You'd have to pedal like heck to keep the speed up though. But, wow does it look like fun for a kid (or an adult too!) My 25c is on its way!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
And it only cost 25 cents!!!

I remember ordering a hovercraft from a comic book when I was 7 or 8 and expecting to be able to toot around the nabe in it. Boy was I disappointed.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Fooey - I'm sending in for the Television Correspondence Course. There's a big future in them disc scanners and neon glowlamps - why we'll be getting pitcher shows in the living room before long. The money we'll save...

Earp

One of the Regulars

You're right draftek, they're very careful with what's depicted and the wording in the ad, although they slip up at one point:

"You want to fly, of course. Every red-blooded boy does. Now you can."

Fun Stuff!!!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Looks like you could get just enough lift to lose traction and then completely lose control of the bike and then go completely splat. Fun!
There used to be a lot of newsreel pieces with people trying to fly ridiculous contraptions that would scoot along a few yards and then collapse. A lot of them were just hoaxes, set up to provide amusing newsreel entertainment.
Now that I think of it, I have an old friend from Scotdale PA, whose old family home had a big carriage house in back. In that carriage house in 1970 I saw a large very Wright Bros looking wing. He told me that in about 1910 his Uncle Bill (quite the legendary character) had built a hang glider and tested it on the hill behind their home. He got off the ground, but that was about it. I wonder what ever became of that wing. So this kind of thing was not out of the realm of every boy's imagination in those days!

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
Looks like you could get just enough lift to lose traction and then completely lose control of the bike and then go completely splat. Fun!

Early X-Games. :D

Fletch: Grown men, today, are still trying to invent flying cars. A saw a very futuristic one on Discovery Channel about a month back. It was red and had impeller props and everything. But, alas, it didn't actually fly. BUT! The inventer in still on that.

Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe