Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Ruined a Three Dollar Hat!

A

Ande1963

Well, okay... I really don't think I ruined it at all, to be honest. In fact, I'm rather pleased!

Some of you may remember my trip to the Stetson Outlet Store. I ended up with six decent hats for twenty bucks, among a few other gems. I liked almost all six well enough to keep, but not quite all.

This hat, with a belt instead of a ribbon, just didn't do anything for me. The shape was okay... nothing great, and I really didn't dig that fake belt!

Seeing all of Art's new lightweight creations, along with this thread, got me thinking about a summer hat... something without a liner, and possibly with perforations. Then, it hit me... I had a hat I didn't care for... one that cost me all of three bucks and change. Why not try something bold?

Here's the original hat. It was lined. And... you know, it had that belt thing. ;-)
belthat.jpg

And, here it is now. The liner is gone, as is the belt. I added a new, very cheap ribbon (stitched in a few spots, and the faux bow applied with tape), and some holes for ventilation. It ain't the prettiest thing ever, but I took a cheap hat I didn't like and turned it into something I can wear around the yard, or just running some errands in town. Not bad, overall. As you can see, I'm so pleased that my eyes are all buggy! Hypnotized by my own genius!
holehat.jpg

Anj

Jerekson

One Too Many
I think that lime green ribbon may be a bit much for me, but regardless you did a very awesome job with that hat.

It looks 110% better...

How did you do the perferations?

Flieger

Practically Family
:eusa_clap 10 points for creativity. Good work! I'm sure that it will serve you good as a everyday beater for a long time.

/F

A

Ande1963

Thanks, all!

The holes were made with the smallest mortise cutter from my mortising machine. Just clamped a board in my vice, put the hat over it, marked a straight line with a pencil, and hammered the cutter through the felt. Worked out okay, but measuring for symetry is a little tough.

The ribbon isn't lime... more like a bright olive. Trick of the flash photo, I think. I feel like Patton defending his ivory handled revolvers! Anyway, it's not ideal, but it was what they had for a buck at the hobby store.

Wore it out a little today... not bad. Not as cool as a Panama, but not as hot as an average weight, lined felt.

Anj

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
This is one of the things that makes our hobby so enjoyable. Keep up the good work! Don't throw that belt thing away, though. You may find another hat for which it will be perfect.

Duck

Practically Family
I think you did a great job!!:eusa_clap The vent holes sure give it it's own personality and it looks good on you.

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
You've made a fine summer hat by taking something inexpensive and that you didn't like and turning it into something you can wear. Kudos on the holes. They look quite symmetrical from my point of view. My only question is about the tape. You said you taped part of the ribbon. Will that hold up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe