Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Got The "Brim Too Wide" Blues!

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
Opinions needed before I start cutting!

The brim on this vintage Borsalino OR clone is 2 3/4" and it just "feels" to wide. I haven't even worn the hat out of the house yet. The felt is lightweight and consequently the brim isn't very stiff - ordinarily a good thing - but on a brim this wide it feels kinda floppy to me.

What do you guys think? Do you have any similar lids? What brim width do they have? Thanks in advance for the input!

borsaorclone1.jpg

borsaorclone2.jpg

indycop

I'll Lock Up
NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! It looks awesome!! That thing looks great, the way the crown has little handling dimples it just looks uber soft!
That is a beautiful hat the way it is and it looks great on you, now this one and the last one are the best I have seen on ya!!:D

donCarlos

Practically Family
My old Tonak has 7cm wide brim, which shall be equivalent to your 2 3/4". However, the crown is not so high as yours (at least it looks like it is). Your lid seems too high with too wide brim.
I think that you shall somehow "cut" the crown :)

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
A couple of options, as I see it - rebash with a c-crown, which will bring it lower. OR, try a wider ribbon, that will even out the appearance a bit. Lastly, if you choose to cut, drive on over to Baron in Burbank, they'll cut it down for ya for something like ten bucks. Lastly, sell the sucker and buy a new one.

I know! I feel your pain! I'm a brim up - 2 & 1/8" max kinda guy too! I have been where you are and I have screwed up some nice hats tryin' to get it right (including a very cool Borso), so, proceed with caution. My son, don't make the same mistakes that I did.

flylot74

One of the Regulars
If the hat is a 7 1/8, then I would say that it looks just awful on you and that I would quite happily take it off your hands. :D

Other wise I think it is just fine. For me (would you have guessed?) 2 3/4 brim is perfect. To be honest, initially I wore 2 1/2 but gravitated to 2 3/4. Now a 2 1/2 seems too small.

Wear it with pride.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Fine looking hat and it looks good on you. If it were mine, I don't think I could ever trim off such a nice edge. :)
Dean is right. Let yourself get used to it.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
NOOOoooo!

Oh man, that hat is the bee's knees! I wouldn't change a thing, except maybe, as suggested teardrop the crown which'll significantly alter the brim/crown ratio.
That looks just like the one Fred Bear once wore.
If you are a 7 3/8 or 7 1/2 let's talk about a trade before you do anything rash!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
A wonderful hat with a beautiful bound edge... please don't ruin it!

You're not the first to have such a reaction, but as others have noted you just need to get used to it. Wear it, enjoy it, and it'll grow on you. If it doesn't, as you can see there would be plenty here who would love to take it off your hands. (What size do you wear, then? :p )

Wear it, enjoy it!

Regards,
Tom

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
Don't trim that brim. The hat is very tall, and with a narrower brim will look like a pilgrim hat not a fedora. Unless that is the look you are going for....

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A brim is never TOO wide! That is a good lookin' lid and suits you perfectly. I'm always worried that the brim is too stingy!

Wear it with pride and know that your FLounger friends and experts across the planet go with you in spirit with full approval.

-dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe