Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I found an old cast iron toy cap pistol w/ pics

green papaya

One Too Many
IM000980.jpg

IM000979.jpg

I found this old cast iron cap pistol in the basement of a very old house, the left side grip panel pivots open to load caps, and it is marked "Sure Shot"

what era do you think it was made? I think it could be early 1930's?

;)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m not a cap pistol expert by no means but, my guess is that it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s from the late 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s or early 50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. But, that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s just my guess.

Any others?

=WR=

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
That is really cool! I was a kid right at the time there was a big stink about cap guns and they started making them in day-glo orange instead of black. If you go into a toy store now good luck finding the cool cap guns that were available even 15 years ago.

Have you tested yours out? I bet it still works.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I remember back in 1984-85 that most toy cap guns were very real looking! There even was a company that were making real looking battery operated full auto water guns! Any one remember those? Ah, those were the coolest! But, by 1989 all the good looking toy guns were not to be made any more.

Sad how some one could hold up a gas station or some place with a fake gun!

=WR=

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I'm a novice and some-time cap-gun and Ray-gun collector...

Most 'Sure Shots' I've seen have been Western/Six-shooters, I haven't seen too many 'automatics' before- apart from the 'Dick' Tracy models from around 1950.

Sure Shot cap guns were made by Hubley.

B
T

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I used to have similar cap guns when I was a child. This was the early 70s, we had realistic looking die-cast metal then. I can still smell those burned bits of paper after firing. Of course back then you could go to a toy store (King Norman's Kingdom of Toys...anyone remember that one?) and buy a realistic toy gun. I remember they had a glass display case with revolvers and automatics. I bought a revolver once with a silencer attachment...black and totally realistic in appearance. Kid's can't own these now but they can play Grand Theft Auto...that's progress! (sarcasm mode turned on). Anyway, nice find!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe