Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I don't own a...

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I don't have running water at the moment. Its not like I don't want running water, it's just that the main has burst & won't be fixed for an hour or two. Oh well, no water to drink, guess I 'll have to make do with beer or wine ;)

Puzzicato

One Too Many
*If you enjoy it, power to you. I am an annoying coffee snob.

:coffee: Me too! French press or espresso only for me. Turkish coffee is too strong, drip filter always tastes burnt and instant is a relatively pleasant beverage that in no way resembles coffee. I don't really understand what Americans mean by percolator.

I don't have running water at the moment. Its not like I don't want running water, it's just that the main has burst & won't be fixed for an hour or two. Oh well, no water to drink, guess I 'll have to make do with beer or wine ;)

Good luck! Hope you don't run out of supplies.

Edward

Bartender
I live in the Amish country. Highlight of my day today. I live downtown Pardeeville, almost dead center of the downtown. there was a tractor being held up by an Amish buggy going down Main Street. Never see a tractor being held up in traffic!

Ha, there's karma! lol

I love cowboy coffee. That is how I first learned to drink black coffee, out of necessity. I had been drinking coffee since I was three or four years old, at first more milk and sugar, and I had gradually cut out the sugar, but camping I learned to appreciate coffee in its proper form and I have been hooked ever since.

Camping is fantastic, and getting to say "I'm an Eagle Scout" sure is a lot of fun.

Cowboy coffee. That is exactly it. I always laugh when cowboys int he movies drink coffee. I bet it is Starcrooks. :p

Well, it just means you know how to camp. :p

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
I love cowboy coffee. That is how I first learned to drink black coffee, out of necessity. I had been drinking coffee since I was three or four years old, at first more milk and sugar, and I had gradually cut out the sugar, but camping I learned to appreciate coffee in its proper form and I have been hooked ever since.

First time I ever drank coffee was my adopted Albanian grandmother made me some with beans she roasted on her own fire, ground by hand, then blended over the fire... Turkish, no creamer, no sugar... :eeek: I've made my coffee like that ever since (Like you, I began out of necessity), and I must say, I'm still getting used to "American" coffee! ;) :p

The whole deal with so few people grinding their own... [huh] mixed with so few "in-home-campfires";)... Adjusting a habit like that is interesting, to say the least.:p

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
First time I ever drank coffee was my adopted Albanian grandmother made me some with beans she roasted on her own fire, ground by hand, then blended over the fire... Turkish, no creamer, no sugar... :eeek: I've made my coffee like that ever since (Like you, I began out of necessity), and I must say, I'm still getting used to "American" coffee! ;) :p

The whole deal with so few people grinding their own... [huh] mixed with so few "in-home-campfires";)... Adjusting a habit like that is interesting, to say the least.:p

A toaster oven works well for roasting.

After spending a summer in Italy, I got so spoiled by Italian coffee and a bit of a tough time switching back.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

I don't have a kitchen sink (or water in the kitchen right now) for a similar reason (remodel). I haven't had a kitchen sink in 5 months. Your suggestion is a good one, which I need to do more of as this drags on.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Not sure she'd appreciate being "owned"... :p

I ain't got no --

e-reader. HATE THESE!! every time i see one i want to grab it & toss it like a frisbee.
husband (not that i wouldn't like one) :D
piercings of any kind, not even my ears. just never thought about it.
fake anything. it's all me. :)
iphone. one of my friends has this thing & i always feel my brain leave the situation when it appears. inevitably youtube will overtake the conversation w/ something inappropriate. *sigh*

I'm a huge gadgeteer & love my digicam & ipod. But as far as the ipad goes, I must have a keyboard under my fingers. I would think those things are incredibly difficult to type on.

Edward

Bartender
A few folks I know have iPads - they seem very easy to use in terms of typing etc. I can see the attraction of a tablet (great on trains etc where laptops aren't always ideal), but I'm holding out for a non-Apple version - hopefully a much cheaper one, too. Love my Kindle - no replacement for 'real' books, but so convenient when travelling (especially by air, where weight is at a premium), and with access to crazy amounts of free content.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
A few folks I know have iPads - they seem very easy to use in terms of typing etc. I can see the attraction of a tablet (great on trains etc where laptops aren't always ideal), but I'm holding out for a non-Apple version - hopefully a much cheaper one, too. Love my Kindle - no replacement for 'real' books, but so convenient when travelling (especially by air, where weight is at a premium), and with access to crazy amounts of free content.

iPads, Kindles, Nnnooks? Eh.
Was at Barnes & Noble yesterday & was practically slapped in the face by the Nook as soon as I walked in the door. I guess I can understand the convenience of one when traveling, like you said. But, I still love the smell & feel of a real paper book (especially hardback). Just somethin' about it. :)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
No...

working stove
girlfriend
health insurance

I don't have a girlfriend either. As a matter in fact, I've never had one. I have been approached from time to time by girls, and chat before or after a class, but I've never got into a relationship. I have to admit, my lifestyle has never been very social. I usually keep to myself, at home, often out of necessity though; hitting the books, getting papers done, etc... I feel like I don't have the time it takes to be committed to a relationship right now.

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
Uh...... I don't know, I can't honestly say I've ever given it any thought. There are plenty of things I own and love that don't fit with the vintage stereotype - mobile phone, several (gasp!) pairs of jeans and what not (never fully understood the hostility to denim in some quarters, tbh: sure, it's not always appropriate, but that's a wholly different beast. Jeans have been around since, what the 1880s? Somebody wore 'em in vintage days....).

Jeans having been around since the late 1800s, and very popular in various vintage eras, it makes no sense whatsoever for their to be something against them in a basic vintage aesthetic. If someone prefers to be dressed up, and feels jeans aren't them, that's different. But they can be very vintage or not depending on style.

I have a pair... I used to find them very uncomfortable, but the one pair I have, I live in these days. I want more. But it is very difficult to find what I like.

The original poster of this thread had asked:
Is there anything that everybody is supposed to have in this modern world and you don't? I don't have;

And though I answered a little before, and am in NO WAY a 'Luddite', the most honest answer to the actual original question for me is... no. Because I don't care what 'everybody is supposed to have' and that depends on which everybody you ask, anyway. ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe