Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to take good care of a flying helmet

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I am the happy owner of a Type C Leather flying helmet - and it has been with me for several years now.
The helmet is in perfect workingorder - no tears, intact all over. But the leather is somewhat dry.
Now I want to do something good for the poor thing. The leather is in need of something in order not to look dull and dry out. What should I use?

What's even more important is the question of some very, very dry rubber cups for the earphones. They are almost as hard as cardboard now - is there anything I can use there, in order to soften them up - re-vitalize them so to speak?

BaggyPants

Familiar Face
Most people appear to use Pecard on vintage flying helmets. As for the earphone cups, I'm afraid there is little that can be done once that stuff dries out. Because it is not a natural material, it won't soak up a moisturiser. There is a chap on ebay who sells new reproduction parts, if they really start to fall apart. He goes by the ebay user name: izavailable and is apparently Sefton who make the repro flying helmets.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Get another one

Soren, I don't think it's worth the effort to replace these unless you're really in love with the rest of it. to me it's messing around with a vintage item which in my philosophy should only happen if it's extremely degraded or is threatening the rest of the item. They are quite common still and comparitively not expensive.

There were from memory 3 main types of Type C's made, the externally wired first pattern with the goggle straps on the front and leather chinstrap, the internally wired second with the elasticised chinstrap and the third post war type had an extra set of straps at the rear of the helmet.

If you have the last type i'd recommend upgrading to one of the other two and if you have the second i'd recommend if you could scrape up the extra funds upgrading to the first as it's closer to the period you're interested in.

Here are some of mine.
First pattern
P3130175.jpg

Second pattern
IMG_3645-s.jpg

I use Pecards on all my leather gear including helmets, Irvins and A-2's and have never had a problem. I've also put it on the rubber cups of C's and it's appeared to have eased drying out of the rubber somewhat.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Søren, I think Andrew is right. I'd leave them be unless they are seriously in a bad way.

Unfortunately rubber is, as others have said, a material that doesn't age well.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for all the advice. I think I will take Windsocks advice and leave it as it is - except ad some Pecard (if I can get hold of it here)
My helmet is a version 2 with elastic chinstrap. (See The War Room thread)

By the way, Windsock - I reall admire your "heads". Are they vintage ones from a hatshop? A really nice way to display the helmets.:eusa_clap

Tally Ho!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Smithy said:
Unfortunately rubber is, as others have said, a material that doesn't age well.

Someone said they are NOT a natural material... :rolleyes:

BaggyPants said:
As for the earphone cups, I'm afraid there is little that can be done once that stuff dries out. Because it is not a natural material, it won't soak up a moisturiser.

I wonder if that "Silicon" spray, used for car bumper parts, rubber mats, etc would rejuvenate, or destroy vintage rubber?
Or maybe "Armor All"? or a similar automotive product/conditioner?

I have used "Neutrogena", Norwegian hand cream, very waxy-
on vintage rubber (and leather)parts before, with great success- at least in making them look better.
I used it because I had some. What do you have in the bathroom cupboard?

B
T

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Baggy, I think Pervy, "cough", I mean Eyemo ( :D ) is referring to putting baby oil on the rubber bits.

...actually that sounds even pervier...

BaggyPants

Familiar Face
You'll never bring rubber bits back to life. I've soaked perished rubber parts from things in oil, moisturiser, neats foot, dubbin, you name it. It might make the surface feel nicer, but it'll still be knackered inside :(

draws

Practically Family
Just a thought, since I work with older leather all the time. Do not use Neatsfoot oil on older leather. Older thread will deteriorate. Good luck.

Ponsenby

Familiar Face
Unscented talcum powder is the only way to preserve rubber. Thats why you often see the white residue on rubber products. Liberally dust it and then shake off the excess. Wipe it down with a dry cloth to keep it looking great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe