Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to creaate playable DVD-R?

Naphtali

Practically Family
I have downloaded from public domain two documentaries: "Memory of the Camps," narrated by Trevor Howard, and "Triumph of the Will." While these play without issue on my Macintosh computer running OS X 10.3.9, neither plays on my Sony 400-disk CD/DVD changer connected to my television.

How can I alter the files to render them playable in the Sony - without investing in [extremely] expensive video editing software? If it makes a difference, both files would fit on a CD-R as they exist - that is, is there a possibility that after alteration the documentaries can be burned to CD-R rather than DVD-R?

Not the right kind of DVD.
SInce you have a Mac, albeit an old OS, I think you might have a tough time.
You don't likely have iDVD on an older Mac running 10.3.9. I use iDVD on my Macs to make these from iMovie or FCP. You can PM me and if you like, you can send me the (data) DVD with the video on it and I'll make you a DVD that will play in a DVD player for your TV. Cover the postage and we're good.

Or, give me the link to the movies and I'll do it from here...

PoohBang

Suspended
do you have quicktime? if so, upgrade to quicktime pro, and it will convert any format video. Just save it to a .mov perhaps and burn it to your dvd. You won't have a menu but it should play in your regular dvd.

do you have quicktime? if so, upgrade to quicktime pro, and it will convert any format video. Just save it to a .mov perhaps and burn it to your dvd. You won't have a menu but it should play in your regular dvd.

You can't play a DVD like that in a DVD player. It's not the correct format. You need a program like iDVD, Toast, etc.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In the light of the previous events (SOPA, PIPA and ACTA gaining momentum) I'd strongly advise you NOT to burn anything yet.. Punishment is smaller if you have a downloaded DVD on your computer. You see, if you have it in hard copy... it gives reasonable doubt that you plan to distribute it. I know, I know.. just.. as my brother said "Lay low for awhile".

..and don't write about wanting to burn a downloaded documentaries (public domain or not.. it's still considered a theft). [huh]
As it is said:
"Welcome to the internet; here women are men, men are little kids, and kids are FBI agents" ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe