Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how do you store your hats in dry temperatures...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
A post in another thread made me want to start a new one. I searched and couldn't find any.
During the winter panama/montecristi hats can dry out and the straw could get damaged. How do you guys store them during the dry days of winter? (or in dry climates) I was told that keeping a small humidifying unit (those made for cigar humidors) inside the hat box is the way to go. Any ideas, comments? what's your experience?
Aureliano-

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Not a lot you can do I`m afraid...but one thing is for sure...don`t handle dry straw too hard, or hold it by the crown pinch, that`s where the cracks start.

seed

Familiar Face
This is going to sound weird, but if you're really worried about it you could hang a different one in the bathroom each time you take a shower...kinda do a rotation. The steam will be plenty of moisture, but not too much. Once a week per hat would probably be more than enough...

Felt and Straw

Familiar Face
I've heard it works to put it in the bathroom once or so (obviously depending on how dry it is where you are) a month during the winter when taking a shower. The hat will absorb the steam and be happy....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe