Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do these hats fit me?

frenchgentleman

New in Town
Hi everybody!

It's my first post, but I've been visiting the forum for a few months. So let's introduce myself!

I'm French, and live in France. I've always loved hats, but only began to wear one in January 2009. It has not been always easy, because I'm young and classic felt hats are not really fashion in Paris for a man in his early twenties.

I would like to know what you think about two of my hats, especially the crown height and the brim width. Do you think they fit me well or not ? And why ?

The first is a vintage Fléchet (late thirties or early forties, and it would need a little reshaping), in a dark blue color, with an off-white satin-lining:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46026440@N08/4218945874/in/photostream/

The second is the fedora I wear most of the time, when it's rainy or snowy, it's black, and has no satin lining nor brand name:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46026440@N08/4218945998/in/photostream/

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the Lounge sir! Great to have a new enthusiast. I like both of the hats you posted. The Flechet has an excellent non-tapered crown and I like the looks of that style. The second hat looks very good on you as well and might be the best one to ease into hat wearing as it appears to be a bit more modern (if any fedora can be said to be modern) and possibly more acceptable to others in your circle until theose people get accustomed to seeing you in a hat. Good luck and keep posting on the Lounge!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Hi and welcome, FG, to the FL.

I think both hats look good on you. Neither of them 'clash' with your face and/or head shape. However, I do like the first one with the straighter sides because, well, I prefer as little taper as possible.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
Welcome aboard, F.G. Very glad to have you here.

Your hats suit you well. Keep wearing them and keep us posted on an others as well...

:arated: Welcome, F.G.

Incidentally, your second photo makes me wonder whether Metropd has gone undercover somewhere in France...:D

Cheers,
JtL

frenchgentleman

New in Town
Thanks, all of you, for your welcome messages and your advices!

Of course, you'll know when I'll have new hats! ;)

Most of my friends know me as the guy with a little retro (or "Bogart") feel to my clothing, but they are now accustomed to that. On the other side, it's sometimes funny the way some persons look at me in the train or the subway! (in Paris, there are very few young men who wear real fedora, with wide brims, and the wearers are more around their fifties/sixties) It's strange because each person seems to have a very different "cliché" about hat wearers: some called me Franck Sinatra, Miles Davis, Humphrey Bogart, Indiana Jones, or various mafioso names, and I don't remember them all!

That's so good to know that many people all over the world continue to wear hats!

theinterchange

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge! Wait... did someone already say that? ;)

I like both hats on you, and I'm like the others, in wanting you to keep us posted when you get new hats, or old ones.

Randy

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
We're all pretty well accustomed to those looks you're getting, FG. Felt hats are not common here among any age group, really. But keep on wearing them! They look good on you, and I still maintain they're very practical. Don't let the hatless herd discourage you.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
frenchgentleman said:
It's strange because each person seems to have a very different "cliché" about hat wearers: some called me Franck Sinatra, Miles Davis, Humphrey Bogart, Indiana Jones, or various mafioso names, and I don't remember them all!
!

I went through the same thing when I started wearing fedora's over 10 years ago. I got (and still occasionally get) all the usual comments about being a Mafioso, Indiana Jones or a 30s to 40s detective. But I have on numerous occasions had people go out of their way to come up and say how much they liked my hats and wish they could wear one too. I've come to the conclusion that many people secretly really want to wear a fedora, but don't have the courage to do it. If people are looking at you, it's more than likely they are thinking, "I wish I could wear a hat like that".

fedoralover

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
Those hats look great! Trust me I know how you feel, in my neck of the woods it isnt customary for young men my age (22) to wear vintage suits and fedoras but you gotta own your look, and the more you wear it the more you own it. Remember the classic saying "The Hat makes the man!"

kaosharper1

One Too Many
frenchgentleman said:
Thanks, all of you, for your welcome messages and your advices!

Of course, you'll know when I'll have new hats! ;)

Most of my friends know me as the guy with a little retro (or "Bogart") feel to my clothing, but they are now accustomed to that. On the other side, it's sometimes funny the way some persons look at me in the train or the subway! (in Paris, there are very few young men who wear real fedora, with wide brims, and the wearers are more around their fifties/sixties) It's strange because each person seems to have a very different "cliché" about hat wearers: some called me Franck Sinatra, Miles Davis, Humphrey Bogart, Indiana Jones, or various mafioso names, and I don't remember them all!

That's so good to know that many people all over the world continue to wear hats!

There are few old men who wear real fedoras either, though our numbers seem to be growing. So welcome to the Lounge!

Justdog

Practically Family
frenchgentleman said:
Hi everybody!

It's my first post, but I've been visiting the forum for a few months. So let's introduce myself!

I'm French, and live in France. I've always loved hats, but only began to wear one in January 2009. It has not been always easy, because I'm young and classic felt hats are not really fashion in Paris for a man in his early twenties.

I would like to know what you think about two of my hats, especially the crown height and the brim width. Do you think they fit me well or not ? And why ?

The first is a vintage Fléchet (late thirties or early forties, and it would need a little reshaping), in a dark blue color, with an off-white satin-lining:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46026440@N08/4218945874/in/photostream/

The second is the fedora I wear most of the time, when it's rainy or snowy, it's black, and has no satin lining nor brand name:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46026440@N08/4218945998/in/photostream/

Personally I think your sense of style is great. Your choice of hat is perfect for your face. Great size to the brim and great bash. Enjoy your style.:eusa_clap

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
Let me join the chorus and welcome you to the F.L. I agree that both hats look very good on you but I think perhaps the second hat fits your face a little better. It may merely be the angle of the photography though. I would certainly continue to wear both and wouldn't be surprised if you set a new fashion trend in Paris because you are the most chat élégant since Alain Delon in Le samouraï.

They look good on you & I, too, like the tilt to them, very dapper. I get looks all the time but then I give looks to backward or sideways ball caps, knit sock hats in the summer, caps with stickers & tags on them, trucker caps that look like they were run over by trucks, etc... Nobody asked me about those fashion statements so I ain't asking them about my choice of clothes & hats!!!! ;)

frenchgentleman

New in Town
Thanks, all of you!

I'll try to take some pictures of my vintage homburg hat soon (I don't wear it, it's only a hat in my collection).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe