Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hogan, I'm warning you!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Anyone here a fan of Hogan's Heroes? I'm a fan of the show, they have been showing it on TV land over the last few months and I've really been enjoying it.

Here's a great clip of some of the best moments from the show... There are some funny parts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPk5mCYKCtU

As a side note, even if it is a comedy, some of the costumes are pretty authentic I've noticed... however, as always, the women are always up to the latest late 60s fashion lol

Hondo

One Too Many
I have first season box set, soon to get the rest ;)
I used to watch Combat, 12 O'Clock High, when they went off ther air,
I settled for light hearted laughs with Hogans Heroes every friday night lol

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I always enjoyed the show, but seeing Autofocus made watching HH again feel dirty.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Some of the actors, including Werner Klemperer (Klink), John Banner (Schultz), Robert Clary (LeBeau), and Leon Askin (Burkhalter), were Jews who had fled the Nazis during World War II. Clary says in the recorded commentary on the DVD version of episode “Art for Hogan’s Sake” that he spent three years in a concentration camp, that his parents and other family members were killed there, and that he has an identity tattoo from the camp on his arm. Likewise John Banner was in a (pre-war) concentration camp and his family was exterminated during the war. Leon Askin was also in a pre-war French internment camp and his parents were killed at Treblinka. Howard Caine (Hochstetter) was also Jewish (his birth name was Cohen), and Jewish actors Harold Gould and Harold J. Stone played German generals.

Forgotten Man said:
Some of the actors, including Werner Klemperer (Klink), John Banner (Schultz), Robert Clary (LeBeau), and Leon Askin (Burkhalter), were Jews who had fled the Nazis during World War II. Clary says in the recorded commentary on the DVD version of episode “Art for Hogan’s Sake” that he spent three years in a concentration camp, that his parents and other family members were killed there, and that he has an identity tattoo from the camp on his arm. Likewise John Banner was in a (pre-war) concentration camp and his family was exterminated during the war. Leon Askin was also in a pre-war French internment camp and his parents were killed at Treblinka. Howard Caine (Hochstetter) was also Jewish (his birth name was Cohen), and Jewish actors Harold Gould and Harold J. Stone played German generals.

The other irony is that it was a popular show in Germany long after it was off the air here---or so I am told. [huh]
I saw a few of the episodes on TV Land. Man, that was a long time ago! :eusa_doh: My great Uncle John loved that show. :D

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
The other irony is that it was a popular show in Germany long after it was off the air here---or so I am told. :D

That is true, but not at first. Initially they did a direct translation and it was a flop. But several years later they made the dialog more "off the wall" with sillier voice-overs and it was a hit. At least that's the story as I recall. Either way it is kind of odd.

GWD

One Too Many
I've always loved Hogan's Heros ever since I was a kid, that and M.A.S.H. are two of my all time favorites.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One of my favorite shows as a wee lass -- for some reason I got it in my head that Schultz was actually Santa Claus without his whiskers, and that he worked on TV during the off-season. Took a long time for my mother to talk me out of that idea.

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
I loved that show too. I used to run for my spot on the couch when I heard the theme music playing. My whole family watched it together.

The Great Escape is another of my favorite movies and I was told this is what Hogans was based off of.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Interesting how art begets more art.

photoKlinkOnSimpsons.gif

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
My brother and I had a rule in our house - my sister could not play piano during Hogan's Hereos - the other 23.5 hours per day were fair game, but from 5-5:30 no distractions.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I grew up with that one. for years it was on in the mornings before school, so I would have the theme music in my head for the first part of the day. It was always enjoyable.

Then years later seeing Stalag 17 & The Great Escape I finally understood their inspirations.

Cheers!

Dan

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I found this while searching for pics of Col. Hogan's jacket; uncanny, no?

henrypaulson1.jpg
werner-klemperer.jpg

Wouldn’t you agree that U.S. Treasury Secretary, Henry Paulson
more than slightly resembles Colonel Klink?

Hondo

One Too Many
Sweet Lizzy, Schultz was always my favorite, John Banner wrote a cute little book titled "Sgt.Schultz talks to Children", very hard to find, perhaps out of print.

Schultz: Col. Hogan if you ever escape...
Hogan: Yeah?
Schultz: Be a good fellow and take me with you. lol

LizzieMaine said:
One of my favorite shows as a wee lass -- for some reason I got it in my head that Schultz was actually Santa Claus without his whiskers, and that he worked on TV during the off-season. Took a long time for my mother to talk me out of that idea.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
My husband and I LOVE Hogan's Heroes - we have the entire set on DVD and I think I've watched almost all of them (it was easy to do when we didn't have cable!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust