Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hiya

Charlie Reader

New in Town
Hi everyone, I'm new here and just wanted to say hello. What a great forum this is - I have read pretty much yet, great people post here.

I am 23, Journalist and live in Bavaria, Germany. I'm generally fond of the 50's style (although the "hat peak" surely was in the 30's and 40's, as it's mentioned in many posts here), which has led me to Frank Sinatra, which has lead me to fedoras ;) His way wearing his hats and his beautiful models were just great. As others have mentioned here, he mostly wore Cavanaghs - and what ones! In an old brochure that was posted here I have seen that the ones I mean were named Cavanagh "Milano", "Leghorn", "Cavair" and "Cocoanut". These ones look stiffer than e.g. panama hats, but I like them especially. They have wide, mostly glossy hat bands made of silk.

sinatra-frank-photo-frank-sinatra-6206184.jpg

Some weeks ago I found a slightly similiar model (but made of straw) in Ebay and bought it. Today I received it and was shocked. That dumb seller had only wrapped paper around the old Cavanagh hat box, now it is and completely ruined. Barbarous. The hat itself is okay, but it is too small and the color differs from photo in reality. Wish he was that bright...
Here it is:
ef_1.JPG

That wasn't a perfect buy... but I hope I'll find such a hat (in dark color and no straw) sooner or later in Ebay. From time to time we have "Swing Nights" (which I organize) in a small bar here, and I still have no hat, while some friends I have "infected" with the 50's-, Swing- and Sinatra-virus do :rolleyes:

Okay, now I wrote you a book... I'm just glad to be here and am sure to learn alot about hats.

Kind regards,

Andreas

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Welcome Charlie,

I could almost confuse your post with something that I would have written. I too am in my 20's, relatively new to the Lounge, and was introduced to the fedora by means of Mr. Sinatra. If only I could find some lids like his...such style.

It is interesting to see such similarities in style and influence across the globe; Bavaria, Germany to Michigan, USA.

Again, Welcome.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
Nah, you lift the stack, pull the box and let the rest slide back in place down the wall. Easy. You just have to have the strength of Hercules. ;)

Regards,

J

So *THAT'S* why you need a man around the house! :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe