Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hey!... Are you popular?

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
My mother and I got a kick out of that! I wish I could go back to those times!

(I always said I was one of few kids who know what the term 'parking' was)

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Wow... That is an amazing (and hilarious) view into the time and attitudes. Thanks.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
don't mind me, I'm trying to figure out something

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Eqpe7Y_6rmQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Eqpe7Y_6rmQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>​

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
A lot of the things the movie covered should be crashingly obvious: don't wait until the last minute, look your best, offer to be helpful, include others in the conversation, make plans, be on time, etc. Sadly, so many of these things are now ignored that it's hard to socialize.

As for the attitude towards "girls who park"...that was how it was in high school in the 80s as well. They were laughed at behind their backs.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
They still are, although it's more known that they are "trashy" if you go parking too many times you get labeled. Also gossiped about in the "the only reason any guy goes with her is..." way [huh] I"m pretty sure that'll never change.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Paisley said:
A lot of the things the movie covered should be crashingly obvious: don't wait until the last minute, look your best, offer to be helpful, include others in the conversation, make plans, be on time, etc. Sadly, so many of these things are now ignored that it's hard to socialize.

As for the attitude towards "girls who park"...that was how it was in high school in the 80s as well. They were laughed at behind their backs.

We called them "gravelpitters," which tells you all you need to know about the social scene in my home town.

But yes, laugh all you want at the goofy narrator and cheesy production values, but the basic points still make sense, and not in an "ironic" way.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
The same goes for guys who park, or flirt with all the girls.
Thank you for posting this swell clip! :)
P.S. Personally I don't think flirtatious people should be punished (being one myself)! The new popular good girl doesn't seem like much fun. Things haven't changed one bit, dull guys still go for dull girls (then procreate and so forth). *sigh*

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
Oh Dear! 1947. That was the year I was a senior in high school: graduated in 1948. My wife graduated in 1947. It did bring back memories for both of us. Especially the plaid pleated skirts and white socks. I think every girl must have had 400 of them. All alike. Although the girls in 47-48 in our hometown wore white socks much thicker than the ones shown in the film. Different localities no doubt had minor differences in style. By a couple of years later, when we were in college, the length of those skirts dropped nearly all the way to the ankle, so all you saw was skirt and white socks - no leg at all. Same plaid skirts, just longer. Thanks for the memories.

Bill Taylor

Foofoogal

Banned
Nothing new under the sun. Except this is the goal of clothing manufacturers it seems lately to make all females look like they would "park."
Thoroughbred vs worn out nag is still the mental picture. I feel so sorry for young girls who have noone guiding them in this.
Don't give it away for free and you may be popular. [huh]

tuppence

Practically Family
cherry lips said:
P.S. Personally I don't think flirtatious people should be punished (being one myself)! The new popular good girl doesn't seem like much fun. Things haven't changed one bit, dull guys still go for dull girls (then procreate and so forth). *sigh*

:eusa_clap
I think double standards should be left back in history.

cherry lips said:

what are you talking about?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
If anyone--a guy or girl--sat down to have lunch with two or more people he or she recently made out with, that could be uncomfortable, even in 2009.

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
If anyone--a guy or girl--sat down to have lunch with two or more people he or she recently made out with, that could be uncomfortable, even in 2009.
Ha! That isn't true of my next-door neighbor. Every time we go out for a drink at a particular neighborhood bar she runs into one or more recent one-night stands, and she loves to go to this bar on dates for that reason. I guess she is what you call "popular" these days...

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I think it's different without the alcohol or the pick-up setting...and with possibly one or more parties feeling like a fool.

One difference I see between then and now is that adults tried to steer kids into socializing in a mature way, like going to dances, eating dinner as a family, and showing them how to act around adults. Now kids seem to be left to their own devices.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Nice guys!:rolleyes:

Everyone at the table "parked" with her and no one wants her to sit down.:p

Does any of those cads care to find out why Jenny does what she does instead of just dismissing her and throwing her on the scrap heap? "You can put your tray down for a moment"?!?! ...Now get going before I spit on you...

*"Over here Jenny, here's an empty seat"*:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe