Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERITAGE grade Akubra Campdraft in Silver Belly Campaign

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Frank, thanks for posting those side by side pics.

I have two hats in the Winchester Silverbelly (one from Art and one from Tony) and I love that colour. I would have wished that the Akubra Silverbelly was similar to this, but as you show if seems to be a light tan rather than a silver colour. The Winchester Siverbelly on your VS hat looks much nicer to me.

Frank and David just neatly summed up why I'm reluctant to call a color "silverbelly." Whatever the term may have meant originally doesn't seem to mean much now, as Frank's decidedly different-colored "silverbelly" hats illustrate.

As a practical matter, that lack of consensus doesn't mean much for custom hatters, as most of us communicate so thoroughly with our clientele that all concerned know what color hat is being produced.

FWIW, I like the color of all the hats in Frank's photos. But a person would have to be unable to distinguish all but the most obvious differences in color not to see that those colors aren't even close to each another.

.... But a person would have to be unable to distinguish all but the most obvious differences in color not to see that those colors aren't even close to each another.

I put my Akubra Silver Belly Heritage Campdraft Deluxe next to my HatCo Silverbelly FF3 Stratoliner prototype & they are nowhere near each other, no where near my Resistol Silverbellies either....

frussell

One Too Many
Let me clarify gentlemen. I know that there are different "Silverbellies." I've had three regulation Akubra Campdrafts in their Silverbelly, plus one in Taupe Fawn and one in Glen Grey. I've had more Resistol and Stetson "Silverbelly" hats than I care to count, vintage and modern. I'm not comparing this Heritage CD to any of those other types of Silverbelly from other makers, I know they are different. Those photos were just to show how dark the new hat appears. What I'm saying is that this Heritage Campdraft in Silverbelly is much more brown-toned than ANY Silverbelly Campdraft I've ever had. I emailed Jenny at the Hattery, and she replied that they are exactly the same color as before. While I've had nothing but excellent service from those folks, I know what I know. This is not my first Silverbelly rodeo. Not saying it's a bad hat, just different than what I was expecting, based on what I've had from Hatsdirect before. I expected Akubra's tan-toned "Silverbelly," but this is light fawn. No offense meant. Thanks, Frank

Last edited:
Oh heck, Frank, I never doubted that you are plenty well-versed in all matters silverbelly. I was just using your example to illustrate why I'm reluctant to use the word at all.

The silverbelly situation hasn't quite descended to the levels of meaninglessness as, say, the X designations, but it's getting there. I suspect that some manufacturers use the word for much the same reason as they use the X'es -- it all sounds just so "authentic," at least to the uninitiated.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I wish I could see color better. I never suspected that I was color blind until I started buying silverbelly hats. Now I despair that I see all the world in black and white. As much as I would like to believe that my two silverbelly Campdrafts look different, I know that they don't. At least not to me. To my eye, the Heritage CD is exactly the same color as my Imperial CD...and both of them are different than any of my Stetsons...which are all a little different from each other.

I think.

AF

frussell

One Too Many
No worries Tony, I wasn't responding to you in particular. The "Silverbelly" fedora I got from you remains my favorite all-time wide ribboned hat, and is one of my two favorite hats I own, period. You and Art have always been very specific about what your shades of Silverbelly or Dove or what have you actually look like, and provide photos to make decisions easier. I also don't want to give the impression that I have a gripe with the new Heritage Campdraft. It's a fine hat. I was just surprised at the color deviance. If I had known prior to ordering, I might have held off. It's not the end of the world, just a new addition to the Silverbelly rainbow I have in my closet. Thanks, Frank

I wish I could see color better. I never suspected that I was color blind until I started buying silverbelly hats. Now I despair that I see all the world in black and white. As much as I would like to believe that my two silverbelly Campdrafts look different, I know that they don't. At least not to me. To my eye, the Heritage CD is exactly the same color as my Imperial CD...and both of them are different than any of my Stetsons...which are all a little different from each other.

I think.

AF

Exactly.

I think.

EggHead

Practically Family

I think.

AF
If you gather all Silverbellies you have in one group, snap a photo and put it up here, we may be able to tell.
After all, photos don't lie :) :) :)

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
Disappointment

Well....

At the risk of sounding ungrateful to all the kind folks who made this happen both here and down under, here are my first impressions. This is the color I was expecting to see when I opened the box that my Fawn CD came in. My Fawn CD is what I would expect to see inside a box labeled medium or mid brown.

I want to reiterate that I love all of my Akubras. They are an excellent hat, with very nice fit & finish. I plan to purchase more in the future. And I will purchase them from Jenny and the good folks at Hats Direct. They have outstanding customer service.

To the good folks who made this happen - please don't take my comments the wrong way. It was a great idea. And I am grateful for what was done. I know a lot of time and effort went into this project. I hope this doesn't discourage folks from trying something like this again.

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Now I'm wondering if everyone was sent the same color hat. As I mentioned, my silverbelly Heritage CD looks to be the same color as my silverbelly Imperial CD. The folowing old photo shows my fawn and silverbelly Imperial CDs, when they were new. They're hiding in a bevy of Open Roads. The fawn CD is at the left front. The silverbelly CD is in the second row, right side...beside the decoy. The hat in the foreground is a 'fifties, silverbelly, 3X Open Road. In fact, all of the other felt hats in the photo are silverbelly ORs. Note how close in color the silverbelly Camp Draft is to the 3X OR.

easter09009-1.jpg

AF

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
I got mine today, still on the fence whether I'm wild about it or not. First of all, this is nowhere near Silverbelly, not even Akubra's version of Silverbelly. Mine is a light fawn color. It definitely feels heavier than my Imperial Campdrafts have been, as others have noted. May just be me, but mine feels stiffer than the other Campdrafts I've had. Nice hat overall, better sweat than on my Imperials. Compared to my recently sold Biltmore Open Door, this hat has a better sweatband, but the Open Door has the felt beat for suppleness and pouncing (and price, I paid somewhere around $223.50 U.S. for this thing). I'll probably keep it, but not for sure. I wasn't looking for a fawn-colored Campdraft. I had one before and sold it. Here's some photos for comparison. Frank
side view unbashed:
P6150291.jpg

Resistol Silverbelly Western, new CD, Art Fawcett Silverbelly:
P6150281.jpg

Stetson Ranch Tan, new CD, Art Silverbelly:
P6150282.jpg

Some folks are likening their new CDs to Ranch Tan. Here's a side by side of Stetson's Ranch tan and the new CD:
P6150285.jpg

Closeup Ranch Tan/Heritage "Silverbelly" Campdraft:
P6150288.jpg

Mine is the same color as yours, Frank.:( I was expecting something a little less brown, too.

Now I'm wondering if everyone was sent the same color hat. As I mentioned, my silverbelly Heritage CD looks to be the same color as my silverbelly Imperial CD. The folowing old photo shows my fawn and silverbelly Imperial CDs, when they were new. They're hiding in a bevy of Open Roads. The fawn CD is at the left front. The silverbelly CD is in the second row, right side...beside the decoy. The hat in the foreground is a 'fifties, silverbelly, 3X Open Road. In fact, all of the other felt hats in the photo are silverbelly ORs. Note how close in color the silverbelly Camp Draft is to the 3X OR.

AF
AF, can you directly compare the ribbon used on the Heritage to the Imperial? The felt & the ribbon are supposed to be top shelf in addition to the sweatband. I'll have to wait until next week to do a side-by-side with my friend's Imperial CD. TIA...

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
The "Akubra Overload" thread shows pics posted of Imperial grade silver belly CD's. This is the color I was expecting:

Colby Jack
diamond1.jpg

univibe88
DSC_0038-1.jpg

These pics show a hat that is more gray than brown.

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
gtdean48 - I put a nice diamond bash in mine. It looks great! I do love the color. I just think Akubra should assign a new name to this particular shade. Maybe "Beige Belly"...? I'll try to get a few pics up soon. There is most definitely a place for this hat in my collection. But there's still an opening for a silver belly. I've got my eye on the FF3 Strat.;)

Thanks again for all you did to get this project done.

gtdean48 - I put a nice diamond bash in mine. It looks great! I do love the color. I just think Akubra should assign a new name to this particular shade. Maybe "Beige Belly"...? I'll try to get a few pics up soon. There is most definitely a place for this hat in my collection. But there's still an opening for a silver belly. I've got my eye on the FF3 Strat.;)

Thanks again for all you did to get this project done.

It is a good color & my pleasure. I just followed those before me when we did the Glen Grey Campdraft & kept picking at the scab we began back then.
Now, not being prone to controversy ;) I have compared my 2 Imperial CDs to the Heritage CD Deluxe disregarding the color issue. The felt of the CD Deluxe is a good deal tighter & the finish is considerably better. I pounced my Imperials a good bit & they have seen some harsh weather which has tightened them up. The CD Deluxe seems to me to be already there & then some. The feel is smoother out of the box.
Now the card insert states Heritage uses "top quality, hand selected furs" then put them thru "25% more felting & shrinking". IMHO, this hat is more than just a nicer sweat & liner.

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
It is a good color & my pleasure. I just followed those before me when we did the Glen Grey Campdraft & kept picking at the scab we began back then.
Now, not being prone to controversy ;) I have compared my 2 Imperial CDs to the Heritage CD Deluxe disregarding the color issue. The felt of the CD Deluxe is a good deal tighter & the finish is considerably better. I pounced my Imperials a good bit & they have seen some harsh weather which has tightened them up. The CD Deluxe seems to me to be already there & then some. The feel is smoother out of the box.
Now the card insert states Heritage uses "top quality, hand selected furs" then put them thru "25% more felting & shrinking". IMHO, this hat is more than just a nicer sweat & liner.

I bow to your expertise on hats, sir. As I've said, I'm no hat expert. I still believe the hat is worth every penny I paid. And I love all of them - my Akubra collection has grown to ten. I would have stopped at one if I didn't think it was a good hat. I think Akubra's are one helluva bargain.

Now - for some pics. Disclaimer: I'm not a pro photographer, either.

Akubra Campdraft Heritage Grade in Silver Belly courtesy of The Hattery
DSCF4112.jpg

DSCF4114.jpg

DSCF4116.jpg

I think my "sloppy" diamond bash technique is improving.
DSCF4118.jpg

Liner
DSCF4119.jpg

Custom sweat band
DSCF4121.jpg

Noggin shot
DSCF4124.jpg

On Top: Fed IV Imperial Dark Brown & Camp Draft Imperial Fawn
First Row: Fed IV Heritage Dark Brown & Moonstone & Fawn
Middle Row: Camp Draft Imperial Bluegrass Green & Campdraft Heritage Silver Belly
Bottom Row: Beaver Brand Heritage Coffee & Banker Gray & Fawn
DSCF4125.jpg

The colors in this pic are spot-on
DSCF4127.jpg

frussell

One Too Many
I agree with others in thanking Tom for spearheading this effort. It's always exciting in this day and age when we can get a manufacturer of anything to listen to their customers and tailor-make a product for us. This is a great hat, just not for me. Mine is in the Classifieds now, as it's too nice to sit in my closet when someone else would really enjoy wearing it. If the Fedorafest Stratoliner project comes out as nice as this, there will be some happy campers out there, me included. Thanks again Tom for keeping this project on track, and seeing it through. Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe