Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Herbert Johnson Poet...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I was following this one from the megar beginnings to the stellar end bid. I must say I wasn't in the least surprised, but "WOW!".:) The only thing that I wonder is the age & pedagree of tis particular Poet.[huh]
http://cgi.ebay.com/Indiana-Jones-HERBERT-JOHNSON-POET-Fedora-hat-7-1-4_W0QQitemZ290111277490QQihZ019QQcategoryZ60287QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
It certainly a very nice looking lid & I'm sure the winner thinks so too. Since it was a private auction ther's no telling who got it. Maybe it was a COW member. So, is the winner amongst our fair community? If so please post some pictures once you receive your prize.

Cheers!

Dan

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
From that website:

"Herbert Johnson's London shop has offered a model called 'The Poet' for nearly 100 years. It is speculated that Ford's hats may have been custom styled 'Poets'."

"Speculated"? As opposed to known? What's the deal? [huh]

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
From that website:

"Herbert Johnson's London shop has offered a model called 'The Poet' for nearly 100 years. It is speculated that Ford's hats may have been custom styled 'Poets'."

"Speculated"? As opposed to known? What's the deal? [huh]

The "folklore" surrounding the Raiders hat suggests that the one worn by H.Ford was a rare Brazilian, or South American styled or modeled [huh] hat that is/was no longer in production at the time.

I'm not sayin' that I know, but that's what I heard/read:eek:

either way, it's a really really nice lookin hat in the photos

dv

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
According to Herbert Johnson and Richarg Jaggs-Fowler and others in the shop... I spoke to some over the phone a few years ago ... they used the Poet. The poet however has been made using different supplied felts. It's a name they have interchanged from whatever they have had on hand that seems to fit the bill. So the poet might not be the poet anymore, though it's still the poet.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
This site may be of interest: http://www.swaineadeney.co.uk/bespoke/herbert_johnson_hats/index.html

I recently bought (as noted in a thread further down) a very similar titfer which the vendor advised was made for them by the same firm as supplies Herbert Johnson; with a little more prodding and speculation on my part they advised that this was Christy's.

A little more on the history of these hats here: http://www.theraider.net/information/indy_gear/fedora.php

I also came across a webpage a week or so ago (can't now find it) from a Brazilian newspaper supporting the Brazil provenance of the original hat.

Finally, here's mine:
Picture182.jpg

Anthony.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally