Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Houndstooth?

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
The UCSC costume department was having an overstock sale, and I picked up this coat for a very decent price. The only problem is, I have no idea what pants, shirt, or vest with which I can wear it. The white in the photos is more of a cream in real life.

IMG_1684.jpg

IMG_1686.jpg

IMG_1685.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
White or off-white and burgundy knit tie?

Go with white, unless you are dead certain that the off-white won't look like you tried very hard to match the light color in the jacket, but came up short. Burgundy tie, OK, but once again, you'll need to lay it on the jacket to see if it is noticeably too close to the red in in the jacket. You are looking for a go-with, not an almost-matches. You might also try a navy blue tie with white pin dots.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A gentleman I know from the Church of Sinatra in San Francisco gave me a jacket very similar to that. For me it has worked best with black trousers, black shoes and socks, a white shirt, a BLACK tie (no pattern), red or black suspenders, and a fresh haircut.

I have not yet seen a hat that works well with it.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
I'll try to get some pictures of it worn. I'm also thinking about the hat. If the rest of the clothing is relatively nondescript, could a plain charcoal hat blend in and just let the coat take over?

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KeyGrip said:
I'll try to get some pictures of it worn. I'm also thinking about the hat. If the rest of the clothing is relatively nondescript, could a plain charcoal hat blend in and just let the coat take over?

Yes, I think nondescript colors would be best for the rest of the ensemble, and no patterns at all. That's my gut feeling.

For the hat, perhaps a straw would work, such as a straw boater or Panama. A gray fedora or gray porkpie might work. I am not sure if charcoal will do you right -- perhaps too dark, but worth a try.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Trousers: Greys (mid to charcoal), navy blue, black and cream.

Shirts:White, cream and blue in textured solids and tone-on-tones.

Ties: Silk/wool knit, woven wool/cashmere in solids or fine patterns. Black, navy, grey, red.......

And, (not that you asked) suede shoes in brown or black.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
Doran, I also have a light grey flat top and a silverbelly fedora. No straws yet.

Thank you for the shoe advice, Tomasso. I have a roughed up pair of black suedes that will do until I find some nicer brown ones.

Pictures soon.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
Red knit tie with wool herringbone cap. Pants are a dark blue not-quite-navy with an unnoticeable herringbone pattern on them:

Inside,
IMG_1694.jpg

And out,
IMG_1702.jpg

Detail on the shirt/coat/tie area,
IMG_1707.jpg

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
Dark blue tie with blue/white circle design. Closest I had to the blue/white polka dots suggestion. Charcoal fedora, same pants.

IMG_1711.jpg

Inside:
IMG_1713.jpg

Outside.
IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

I just love houndstooth! It's very nice looking. Unfortunately you can't find the stuff anywhere. For those familiar with cars, I had a 1960 Chevrolet that had houndstooth interior.

08-250.jpg

Bugsy

One Too Many
???

A few weeks ago, we found out that Slim Portly had to undergo some kind of medical procedure. Since then, we've not heard a word. He is one of our most constant members. Does anyone know how he's doing??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe