Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Aero Leather Jacket zippers !!

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Ah, I was a bit confused why you wondered if I quoted you.

You said: "Personally, I have been avoiding Aereos due to their terrible zippers."

That implies they exclusively offer bad zippers, because otherwise you would surely specify one that wasn't "terrible" when placing an order. There was no caveat in your sentence, that may have suggested you weren't talking about "all" their zippers.

Edit: Third time lucky: What goes wrong with your Aero zippers? I'm merely trying to ascertain what it is that fails on them? The only zippers I've had fail in my life were on cheap luggage, so I'm having a hard time picturing it. Or is it like the other guys said, and the zippers are poorly attached to the jacket and pull away? (More an issue of construction than a zipper issue, that.)
Aero refuses to install #10 zippers even on their heaviest hide jackets citing period-correctness. #5 zippers are not up to task on the heaviest hides Aero is using. They were okay on thinner hides from the period. So that is what's wrong with Aero zippers - wrong hardware is being installed. Hope that answers your inquiry.

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, I was quoting you. When you quote someone, their name appears at the top of the new post.

I wondered if you knew what it was about Aero's zippers that was terrible? What singles them out for failure? Any idea?
They are too small and too weak for the heavy hides they are being installed on. Thus the high fail rate. That's it. No mystery here.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Edit: Third time lucky: What goes wrong with your Aero zippers? I'm merely trying to ascertain what it is that fails on them? The only zippers I've had fail in my life were on cheap luggage, so I'm having a hard time picturing it. Or is it like the other guys said, and the zippers are poorly attached to the jacket and pull away? (More an issue of construction than a zipper issue, that.)
I had the zipper fail on my CXL Bootlegger within 3 months of receiving the jacket. It was a #5 Talon and it was clearly undersized for the heavy horsehide I replaced it with a #8 riri and have had no problems since, riri makes one hell of a zipper!
I think the problem most of us have experienced is that the zipper is too small to handle the leather. Also, that the #5 reproduction Talon and Waldes zippers used by Aero are not particularly well made.

Aero's #5 zippers indeed are period correct but the leather they're using, isn't; Hence the reputation for malfunction. Now, the issue isn't as widespread as it might appear given that people mostly tend to report bad things while taking the good ones for granted so 30-something failed zipper zipper threads on TFL isn't too bad, considering how many people here have bought an Aero jacket but the problem does exist.

Most malfunctions that I have seen take form of the zipper machine getting stuck due to heavy, thick leather forcing the teeth to misalign & consequent attempts to get free of the jacket are usually the primary culprit for the catastrophic failure after which replacement is the only option.

Aero's tendency to install the zipper tape deep inside the leather further adds stress to the optimal operation of the machine so I do believe that size, in this particular case, indeed does matter & that they'd remedy the issue altogether by switching to #8 or #10 size for all CXL jackets.

Last edited:

Rich22

Practically Family
Gentleman, I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but everyone repeating the same things (that I have known for years) such as that No.5 zips are period correct but too lightweight for non-period heavy leather, and that they fail regularly as a result, is not clarifying what element of the zip is failing. It is like saying "the engine is too weak to pull the truck, so it fails". What component of the engine/zip fails? So far the only person to give specifics said the stitching and the tape came away from each other.

Edit: A couple of extra posts are now visible, so I'll update this post when I read them.

Edit 2: Thank you, @Monitor ! That's precisely the sort of explanation I was looking for. Excellent post.

For what it is worth, I have correspondence with Aero from years ago asking if I could have a larger zip on a jacket, because I felt the no.5 was too fragile and fiddly, and had a reputation for failing. I was just curious what about it was going wrong, and I'm grateful to Monitor for answering before I had an apoplectic fit. ;)

Must malfunctions that I have seen take form of the zipper machine getting stuck due to heavy, thick leather forcing the teeth to misalign & consequent attempts to get free of the jacket are usually the primary culprit for the catastrophic failure after which the replacement is the only option.

Aero's tendency to install the zipper tape deep into the leather further adds stress to the optimal operation of the zipper

Last edited:
Gentleman, I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but everyone repeating the same things (that I have known for years) such as that No.5 zips are period correct but too lightweight for non-period heavy leather, and that they fail regularly as a result, is not clarifying what element of the zip is failing. It is like saying "the engine is too weak to pull the truck, so it fails". What component of the engine/zip fails? So far the only person to give specifics said the stitching and the tape came away from each other.

Edit: A couple of extra posts are now visible, so I'll update this post when I read them.

Edit 2: Thank you, @Monitor ! That's precisely the sort of explanation I was looking for. Excellent post.

For what it is worth, I have correspondence with Aero from years ago asking if I could have a larger zip on a jacket, because I felt the no.5 was too fragile and fiddly, and had a reputation for failing. I was just curious what about it was going wrong, and I'm grateful to Monitor for answering before I had an apoplectic fit. ;)

Occasionally, the pull-tab or worst case scenario, the entire front of the zipper machine will break off clean, too.

I strongly believe that the main cause for zipper failure on Aero's main line jackets is 'cause they're burying them so deeply. Zipper tape must have some give in order to allow the teeth to align naturally which, held firmly in place by massively stiff, thick leather, becomes nearly impossible. Proof for this is that I don't ever recall reading about the same type of zipper breaking down on any of Aero's A-2 jackets, as they have fully exposed zipper tape.

El Marro

Sorry man, I didn’t realize you required such specificity. In my case the zipper teeth separated about 8” up from the bottom. I tried briefly to delicately work them back together but I was quickly overcome by rage and claustrophobia. I grabbed both lapels and pulled mightily. The zipper gave way, spitting teeth as it went.

Peacoat

Bartender

In my situation the slider was torn apart due to the teeth having so much force applied to them. There was also separation of some of the teeth from the tape.

Blackadder

IMO, Aero's talon zipper is subpar. In my case, the teeth comes off and it is not on a CXL jacket. It is on a shearling ANJ-4. I have not seen as many failure on say Eastman or the Few or RM or BR shearling jackets. Yes Aero's shearling jacket is thick and heavy but not much thicker or heavier than other brands' shearling.

Rich22

Practically Family
Occasionally, the pull-tab or worst case scenario, the entire front of the zipper machine will break off clean, too.

I strongly believe that the main cause for zipper failure on Aero's main line jackets is 'cause they're burying them so deeply. Zipper tape must have some give in order to allow the teeth to align naturally which, held firmly in place by massively stiff, thick leather, becomes nearly impossible. Proof for this is that I don't ever recall reading about the same type of zipper breaking down on any of Aero's A-2 jackets, as they have fully exposed zipper tape.
Thanks for the detailed reply! I'd noticed they bury the tape unusually deeply, which logically must put the slider/teeth and tape under more pressure than normal, certainly until the leather relaxes with use.

Rich22

Practically Family
In my situation the slider was torn apart due to the teeth having so much force applied to them. There was also separation of some of the teeth from the tape.
Wow, that doesn't indicate a sturdy slider. The whole thing must have been under a lot of pressure to fail like that. Thanks!

Rich22

Practically Family
IMO, Aero's talon zipper is subpar. In my case, the teeth comes off and it is not on a CXL jacket. It is on a shearling ANJ-4. I have not seen as many failure on say Eastman or the Few or RM or BR shearling jackets. Yes Aero's shearling jacket is thick and heavy but not much thicker or heavier than other brands' shearling.
That repro #5 Talon zipper does sound like it has some issues.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I own several horsehide and steerhide jackets from the 40s / 50s (some lightweight, some heavyweight) which still have their original #5 zippers that are still going strong. I think the quality of Aero's repro's is the culprit, not the heavy leather.

Blackadder

I own several horsehide and steerhide jackets from the 40s / 50s (some lightweight, some heavyweight) which still have their original #5 zippers that are still going strong. I think the quality of Aero's repro's is the culprit, not the heavy leather.
Agree. We have seen Aero's repro zipper failing even on their house A-2 which is made with "normal" weight leather that is close to those on vintage jackets.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

That’s certainly the reason my shoemaker (who tried to repair a repeat-failure Hookless before installing a new zipper on a Primo HWM of mine) quoted as the main reason for the issue.

My slider ended up in my hand, separated from the jacket. It just busted apart as I moved it up past the thick bottom hem of the Aero Chips. IMO, not a sturdy zip. The new 10 zip is still buried in there, but no issues at all.

Like Marc said, most of my vintage pieces have 5 zips and they are going strong decades later. I don’t worry about them. But I don’t feel they are bulletproof like the 10 zips on my old Taubers or Cals.

The tape of my 5 zip on my All weather did tear. Horribly. But that is a decaying tape/stitching issue on an old jacket. The zipper itself was gtg. I swapped out to a 5 YKK as a test and it is going strong. No worries.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I also don't think it's the way it's installed but the actual poor quality of the repro Talon.

Boxy Talon (NOS, US made) is a free option for custom jackets. I would highly recommend this for any new Aero. It's tight at first but I have not had a failure yet with these Boxy Talons but has had a few failures with the repro Bells.

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

Why is the Bell shaped Talons favored over the chocolate bar one? I don't have problems with the chocolate bar shape Talons either, just the Bell one. All number 5s.

Zipper is so small but the most important part of the jacket. It gets used and abused on a daily basis. Don't cheap out on the little things that holds everything together.

El Marro

Zipper is so small but the most important part of the jacket. It gets used and abused on a daily basis. Don't cheap out on the little things that holds everything together.
I could not have put it any better than this!
it is hard to describe how stupid and angry I felt simultaneously when the zipper broke on my new Bootlegger. I just couldn’t believe that the most expensive jacket I had ever purchased, this rough and rugged piece of gear, was so fragile and delicate.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Yes, it's definitely the BIGGEST issue with Aero or any expensive jackets. Totally blows when it happens too. The pull tab just break clean into two pieces. Always happens in the worst timing too. Very frustrating indeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
remytwotimes