Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Aero Leather Jacket zippers !!

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
For my last order, Aero offered a YKK-zipper. Don´t know if it´s a standard option now, but it´s certainly way sturdier than the Hookless I find pretty much useless for a CXL jacket.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I had the same problem with my ThunderBay. It was the standard #6, I believe, and was just too little zipper for so much leather. After 6 months it broke, and it cost me $200 to have a proper #10 installed. Worf determined the zip was incorrectly installed, which subtracted from its already short life. As long as Aero insists on period correct tiny zippers on their jackets, the problem will persist.

Hopefully, you will have better luck than I did.
Peacoat put the hammer on the nail head. Less than a year after he replaced his, I had to do the same thing on my ThunderBay. I also have to send out my black Steer Highwayman to get the same treatment this summer. It's ridiculous actually. I love my Aero's but their zips are from hunger. Only my A2 hasn't had a problem yet but I'm sure it will.

Worf

Rich22

Practically Family
I had the same problem with my ThunderBay. It was the standard #6, I believe, and was just too little zipper for so much leather. After 6 months it broke, and it cost me $200 to have a proper #10 installed. Worf determined the zip was incorrectly installed, which subtracted from its already short life. As long as Aero insists on period correct tiny zippers on their jackets, the problem will persist.
Out of curiosity- in what way was the installation incorrect?

Rich22

Practically Family
Number #10 zippers are much stronger than #5 zippers, that is not a doubt. Period correct zippers are not as bad as some might think. The problem is the quality of the zipper currently being constructed. NOS 70-year-old Top quality #5 zippers work well in most jackets. Remember, some old #5 zippers that fail, have well passed their service time. Also, some fail due to OWNER's abuse. The simple bell-shaped #5 1940s-1980s talons used by buco and others are as tough as nails. 50/60's #5 and #10 military conmars are built like a tank and will take on the abuse of a stiff 4oz thick leather jackets. Personally, I have been avoiding Aereos due to their terrible zippers. Replacing a failed zipper is expensive if you want to have them done properly. I only trust two people to do this job. I have a custom build 4oz HH cross zip with a #5 bell-shaped zip. It has been properly functioning for more than 30 years of hard ownership. I tend to lubricate the zips every 4-5 years or whenever it needs it. When you lubricate zippers, is important to first clean the teeth with a small brush (toothbrush) in my case, to remove the smoke/dirt or other things zipper teeth get exposed to.

My next zipper job replacement will have a Talon #10 military 40s zipper. Much stronger than same size crowns. I have included an image, so you could make your own conclusions. The zips are #10 Three of the 4 zippers are military. The gold C&C is nice and has a stronger slider, but not as cool as the spring-loaded one. The finish on the C&C I believe is a much better product. I do like LW I just do not believe in all of Stu's zipper hype lol.

View attachment 410025
All their zippers are terribly constructed? Don't they have a variety of different zippers they use?

Peacoat

Bartender
Out of curiosity- in what way was the installation incorrect?
Without having the image in front of me, it will be difficult to accurately describe. The zipper was installed about 1/2" too high, and it was interfered with by a welt of leather and a brad. Never worked properly, and I just didn't wear the jacket unless I had an extra 10 minutes to spend futzing around with getting the zip to close. Never wore it if I was going to take it off at my destination as I didn't want to spend the time with the zip when I put it back on. Altogether an unsatisfactory situation.

Mercifully, it broke, and I got a #10 put on it. No more trouble, no more problems other than shelling out the $200 for a new zip, installation and shipping.

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
One more Aero sob story... The stock zipper on my CXL Hooch Hauler broke about 6 months in - specifically, the zipper tape broke away from the jacket. I sent it to Aero for a free replacement (including shipping from and to Canada, which was great) of the same kind, and then it broke again a year later. This time I sent it to Awl Together in Vancouver for a replacement with a #10 deadstock Talon. $200 is about right, and that's frustrating when the jacket costs so much. So, yes, Aero should really step up its zipper game. But, I can't exaggerate how much happier I am with the jacket now. First, I don't have to stop walking and fidget with the zipper like a toddler to get zipped up. Second, the bigger zip feels super solid and secured to the jacket. And third, as luck would have it the silver Talon really adds a lot of character to the jacket, compared to the antique brass I originally chose. And, Awl was great - excellent service, they let you choose your tape and thread, fast and high-quality work.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
All their zippers are terribly constructed? Don't they have a variety of different zippers they

Are you quoting me? For all my new projects, I provide my own NOS zippers. Even an excellent condition 60-year-old zipper will last longer than a low quality new talon repros. If you like a particular company is your own choice to make. What ever floats your boat. Other companies and zipper makers like YKK and produce exceptional repros. Writing from experience. 5 Aeros with five zippers replaced. Not too long ago, I got the six jacket from a member here that had a zipper that fail. Will send to Dena for this one. Five purchased by me and one used, the results are the same. Fail zippers.

Rich22

Practically Family
Are you quoting me? For all my new projects, I provide my own NOS zippers. Even an excellent condition 60-year-old zipper will last longer than a low quality new talon repros. If you like a particular company is your own choice to make. What ever floats your boat. Other companies and zipper makers like YKK and produce exceptional repros. Writing from experience. 5 Aeros with five zippers replaced. Not too long ago, I got the six jacket from a member here that had a zipper that fail. Will send to Dena for this one. Five purchased by me and one used, the results are the same. Fail zippers.
Yes, I was quoting you. When you quote someone, their name appears at the top of the new post.

I wondered if you knew what it was about Aero's zippers that was terrible? What singles them out for failure? Any idea?

Rich22

Practically Family
One more Aero sob story... The stock zipper on my CXL Hooch Hauler broke about 6 months in - specifically, the zipper tape broke away from the jacket.
Not good that that would happen twice. That's definitely indicative of an installation problem. Weird.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
@photo2u , do you know from what decade is this zipper from your picture (I cropped out the rest).

IMG_5050.jpg

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
40's military. Love the box and the upper speed stop. Hardly mention the excellent benefits of a speed release stop. Their function is to quickly unzip a garment.
Thanks. I just bought an unlabeled leather jacket with this zipper. If it is from the 40's, that would be a treat. More likely 50s, but will see. I will post when I get it, hope it is not too large...

Rich22

Practically Family
I check my writing and did see anything with "All their zippers are terribly constructed" in my writing.
Take good care, sir.
Ah, I was a bit confused why you wondered if I quoted you.

You said: "Personally, I have been avoiding Aereos due to their terrible zippers."

That implies they exclusively offer bad zippers, because otherwise you would surely specify one that wasn't "terrible" when placing an order. There was no caveat in your sentence, that may have suggested you weren't talking about "all" their zippers.

Edit: Third time lucky: What goes wrong with your Aero zippers? I'm merely trying to ascertain what it is that fails on them? The only zippers I've had fail in my life were on cheap luggage, so I'm having a hard time picturing it. Or is it like the other guys said, and the zippers are poorly attached to the jacket and pull away? (More an issue of construction than a zipper issue, that.)

Last edited:

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Thanks. I just bought an unlabeled leather jacket with this zipper. If it is from the 40's, that would be a treat. More likely 50s, but will see. I will post when I get it, hope it is not too large...

Look at the teeth. I have not seen military garments dated post 50s With this style of teeth. If the teeth are wide and super strong, then is 40s. If teeth are regular, then is 50s. In limited bases, the box and the sliders were similar. This heavy-duty zipper designed, was later adapted in modern heavy duty "plastic" zippers.

Last edited:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Look at the teeth. I have not seen military garments dated post 50s With this style of teeth. If the teeth are wide and super strong, then is 40s. If teeth are regular, then is 50s. In limited bases, the box and the sliders were similar. This heavy-duty zipper designed, was later adapted in modern heavy duty "plastic" zippers.
You are right, of course. The teeth appear to be "normal" but the slider and the box are identical to your zipper, so the jacket is likely from the 50s. Pic attached.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Last edited:

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Your zipper does look like 50's. When you put both boxes and sliders together, the older zippers look more robust and a little bigger. Also the male pins on the military 40's are wider and do not curve as much. The spring on the pull lever is also much stiffer. You know, you can interchange 60's talon zipper with the none box. Early 70's and beyond do not match as well. Let me dig on to some older zips and place them next to each other. You can visibly see the difference. You know, your box talon is so nice. Have them in two of my Cal"s. I also prefer the hanger pull over the "regular bar pull"

Last edited:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Your zipper does look like 50's. When you put both boxes and sliders together, the older zippers look more robust and a little bigger. Also the male pins on the military 40's are wider and do not curve as much. The spring on the pull lever is also much stiffer. You know, you can interchange 60's talon zipper with the none box. Early 70's and beyond do not match as well. Let me dig on to some older zips and place them next to each other. You can visibly see the difference. You know, your box talon is so nice. Have them in two of my Cal"s. I also prefer the hanger pull over the "regular bar pull"
Are these zippers #5 or #10?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
remytwotimes