Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help, What kind of hat?

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hello,

This kind of hat, unless I'm mistaken, is known as a trilby or a stingy brim. Or even a stingy brim trilby, if you prefer.

Trilby used to be another name for almost any fedora, especially to one with a center-dent, but now refers to the style of fedora that Doherty wears in your photo.

A stingy brim can mean almost any brimmed hat with a very narrow brim. One can have a stingy brim porkpie, as well as a stingy brim trilby.

Cheers,
Mark

jpdesign

Vendor
A stingy brim yes, not a trilby. The name trilby is actually more of a country fedora. The british took to wearing them to the races and other country events. For some reaso they like to wear them one size too small so they sit up very high(Read in some artical at some point). A stingy brim is generally less than 2 1/4 inches. I beleive a trilby falls between 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 and they have a shorter, tapered crown. The term trilby has been bastardized lately by the fashionistas.

Jimmy

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Looks like a common modern stingy brim to me; Stetson "Saxon" or "Frederick", maybe a Capas "Blues Bros" or something. These types of hats will come up if you search for "fedora" on most websites. Also, try "bucket hat". Maybe it isn't technically either, but those searches work. Also try "Blues Brothers" and "Sinatra" as searches.

You will find variant of that very hat - in a wide variety of sizes - in every single vintage clothing store in the European Union at the moment.

And, partly because of Pete Doherty, you will find endless swathes of swaggering fools acting how they think "junkies" act (just like pretender Pete) on every "trendy" street in the European Union. They will undoubtedly be wearing this type of hat.

bk

Him...

New in Town
No, to score supermodels. You only need a fame name. And a lot of dope. I also sees tv. But my have search of that kind of hat, goes back to before i seen that Junkie on my six a clock news. But now, thanks to him. I have a picture, to show you guys:)
Og til Jakes, hyggeligt at m??de en landsmand lige her. og tak for velkomsten :)

Him...

New in Town
But im surprised, that some of you even knew him:) I thought people in Us. did not know about celebs like Pete Doherty, Robbie williams, Oasis. wich are big names in Euro. It was my image that all of you, eather do not cared. Or by other reason. That they was not reaching you in such way, that people was familar with them.
So have i been told, or reading between the lines, on tv and in the paper.
But in what size, im i going wrong with that image? :)

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Morning all,

I'm still holding out for it being valid to call a hat like Doherty's a trilby.

This morning, after reading Jimmy Pierce's comment, and figuring that he knows his stuff, I looked at a few online hatshops to see what they market as trilbys. And that seems to be stingy brim fedoras, which is my other name for what Doherty's wearing.

Then I wondered who Doherty was. On Wikipedia,there's a list of "notable trilby wearers." Number two on the list is Pete Doherty.

I'd say that the meaning of the word trilby has passed from being a country fedora worn high on the head to being a stingy brim fedora.

If you want to find such a hat as his on eBay, your search terms might include "trilby," "stingy brim," and "Pete Doherty," as well as, for that matter, "Blues Brothers" and "Frank Sinatra."

Cheers,
Mark

addison

One of the Regulars
This is radio talk personality Michael Savage ("Savage Nation").
I dig his lid...what kind is it? Is this an Akubra or something else?
Is it Bluegrass Green, perhaps?
Michael%20Savage%20fedora.jpg

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Here's another view of it.

I don't think you can be sure of the color as the background & mike seem to have a greenish hue too.......doesn't look like wool but can't be sure. It ain't an Akubra though. There are so many 'middle of the road hat brands' in the U.S. that unless someone has the exact same hat, it's going to be near impossible to name it, especially from such bad photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe