Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Skyvue pick new eyeglasses

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
My employment runs out on Tuesday, so I'm using my accumulated flex dollars to buy some new eyeglasses (and update the lenses in my current ones).

As some of you know, I wear Shuron Ronsir style from the 1950s. I like them, but often wish I had another pair when I'm aiming for more of a 1930s-'40s look. Now's my chance.

I paid a visit to Fabulous Fanny's in the East Village today, and here are my two options. The metal frames are vintage; the others only vintage-style. I think both look good (though these are not flattering pics), and so does my wife, so I can't quite decide between them.

What do y'all think? (Don't dally in speaking up--I'm buying on Friday one way or the other, as I have to purchase by Aug. 31st to get reimbursed, and tomorrow's my only day off between now and then).

me1.jpg
me2.jpg

me3.jpg
me4.jpg

Tiller

Practically Family
I think you look good in the metal frames skyvue, but having 20/20 vision I may not be the best person to comment on the style of glasses. I'd want to get a pair of pince-nez if they still made them lol.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Tiller said:
I think you look good in the metal frames skyvue, but having 20/20 vision I may not be the best person to comment on the style of glasses. I'd want to get a pair of pince-nez if they still made them lol.
I am the same way. But if it came down to me needing glasses, and I couldn't find the elusive pince-nez, I would probably go for putting prescription lenses in my Clubmasters.
And skyvue, I like the tortoise shells, as the metal frames seem to make you look pale

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
The metal frames are more serious, and the tortoise shell brings to mind a more casual, sportier appearance. (In my mind, at least) The metal frames make you look older than you do in the tortoise, also. Lenses are easier to replace in metal frames.

Edward

Bartender
I know exactly the position you're in - I wear Shuron Ronsirs, and if ever I want to go for a strictly pre 1947 look, I currently reach for the contact lenses. Personally, I think both styles modelled suit you well, though I do think the metal frames look markedly more period correct. I don't by any means hold myself out as an expert, but of all the genuinely 1930s plastic-framed glasses I've seen, they were considerably chunkier than modern plastics. Those that you have on are the correct general frame shape, but they look too fine, to my eye, to be 30s spectacles if that's the look for which you are shooting.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I ended up with the plastic ones. I came thisclose to going with some vintage rimless "frames" but in the end, chickened out (they weren't quite as comfy to wear as the others, and I couldn't be sure that I would grow comfortably accustomed to them over time.

Thanks for the input, all.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Too late, but I'm chiming in for the tortoise shells as well.
You guys going to Governor's Island this w/e and Club Wits End this Saturday?
BTW, I'd like to see the combo of the glasses and the old 'stache.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Get me a job, and I'll grow the old mustache back!

Gotta work my freelance gig this weekend, so no go on the Governor's Island event, alas. I've yet to make it to one of those events.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I think you made the right call by going with the plastic frames. The metal ones certainly are quite early 40's in their look, but I don't think that particular pair suits you as well as the plastic ones do. I actually think your new plastic ones suit you better than the underwires (?) I've seen you wear in pictures you've posted.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Guttersnipe said:
I think you made the right call by going with the plastic frames. The metal ones certainly are quite early 40's in their look, but I don't think that particular pair suits you as well as the plastic ones do. I actually think your new plastic ones suit you better than the underwires (?) I've seen you wear in pictures you've posted.

Oh, I get so many compliments on my underwire glasses. If I get as positive a reaction to the new ones as to those, I'll be very happy. The old ones will still be my go-to pair, i think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82