Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help, my brim is curling!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I need your assistance, folks. I've been wearing my gray fedora for approximately seventeen weeks, nearly every day. I brush it, I don't handle it by the dents, and I otherwise do my best to properly care for it to make it last (I can't afford another one at the moment). Unfortunately, the front brim has begun to curl. When snapped down there is a fairly large pocket right in the center of the brim so instead of a gentle curve downward from the crown, there is a sharp curve downward and then an equally sharp curve upward to the edge of the brim. I suspect this is from handling. Is there any way I can reverse the problem? It doesn't really look bad when I'm wearing it, but I don't want it to get any worse!

I'm thinking steam will help the felt "remember" how it is supposed to work, but I wanted to consult the board before warming up the kettle and attacking my prized headgear.

-Dave

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I suspect you are a long oval man whose hat is creeping back to roundness.

You might try a well-warmed iron with a slightly dampened press cloth. That will reactivate the stiffener and give more control for shaping.

Stoney

Practically Family
Scott's advice is great. If the hat feels tight front to back then you may be a long oval. The weakness of the stiffener may also be due to the handling of the brim such as pulling on the front.

The heat and steam will bring the stiffness right back like new again. Just be sure to never Iron directly on the felt but rather use the press cloth between the brim and the iron. I find that a t-shirt provides adequate protection provided that you use a shot or two of steam and a quick press to reactivate the stiffener. Just be sure not to linger too long with the iron in one place.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
I suspect you are a long oval man whose hat is creeping back to roundness.

Ahh, so my hat is deforming slightly every time I put it on? I had never even heard the term "long oval" prior to joining FL. I'll know for the next time, though.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that when I get some time. Right now I need a haircut, so it's pointless for me to try to even put the thing on my head.

-Dave

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Yep, is sounds like you're a long oval. One of my early hats did exactly what you're talking about until I had it re-blocked. But the advice given above by Scot & Stoney is sound and does work. If the brim warpage continues, you might, & i mean might, have to get it re-blocked into a long oval. There are several vendors here that can offer that service to you & it is cheaper than having to get a new hat if you're on a budget.

But first off get a haircut!;)

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust