Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello, new here!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Hello, figure I would go ahead and post. I am on the COW site also but am not a serious indy nut despite the username. After registering here I remembered a name I wanted to use but, oh well. Anyway I like the indy hat and have a peters bros. Custom. I just received a black akubra federation the other day which I am working on bashing. I'm going for a center dent and a pinch in the front, but do not care about any type of screen accuracy. I am also awaiting a grey camptown.

I look forward to learning more as I have read some good information on here already.

apipeguy

One of the Regulars
Welcome

Pull up a chair! Wear your favorite hats! You will learn alot here. Please chime in and share your thoughts!

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Welcome to the Lounge, Indycop.

A lot of people were drawn here via the Indy fedora, but I think we all stay for the great group of members we have here.

Please post some pictures of your hats for us in the near future. (Hats with heads under them are always preferred :) .)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Colby Jack said:
I see you're just down the road from me!...Any hat shops we should know about over in Jax?
Cheers
Colby Jack
The only place I can find that has anything other than cowboy hats is a panama hat shop in st. Augustine. They seem really expensive for what you get though. There was a borsalino felt in there for $300 that I've seen online for 165.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Haha what about messengers? You said you'd try and sneak onto those too! It's OK - you can blame me.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Not-Bogart13 said:
Hey, Indycop! Another defector! :D
Welcome to "the other forum"!
NB
Hello! I wanted to ask you, since your the only other one I've seen with a black federation so far, if you have noticed if its any hotter than your other color feds? I wore mine out in the heat today and I didn't notice it being hot. Maybe I wasn't in the heat long enough or maybe its just thinner and cooler than my PB.

fatwoul

Practically Family
indycop said:
Hello! I wanted to ask you, since your the only other one I've seen with a black federation so far, if you have noticed if its any hotter than your other color feds? I wore mine out in the heat today and I didn't notice it being hot. Maybe I wasn't in the heat long enough or maybe its just thinner and cooler than my PB.

A lot of people swear by black clothes in hot weather, for a couple of reasons:

They absorb heat, yes, but they do so from both directions. Black clothing tends to draw heat away from your body more readily than lighter shades.

Black is also an excellent radiator of heat energy, so the moment you enter the shade, you are more likely to cool down fast in black clothes than in white.

This is why you see a lot of desert nomads etc wearing surprisingly dark colours.

With a Federation, I don't know if the effect is the same, because the inside of the crown is white, thanks to the liner. It might be that the hat is cooler without the liner in it, but it might make no difference at all. I'd be interested in hearing people's experience with this.

In broad daylight, black isn't a whole lot darker than my dark brown fed dlx, which I suspect is almost as good at absorbing and radiating heat energy. I have found no problems at all wearing that in the sun.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Not-Bogart13 said:
Hey, Indycop! Another defector! :D
Welcome to "the other forum"!
NB

Chewie why didn't you say "the dark side"? I mean, it would have been an excellent Star Wars reference, and it's true - black is much darker than that pinky beige over at COW. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust