Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hatmaker Names to Watch For

Custom79

One of the Regulars
Since I'm going to be spending some quality time looking around for some nice lids, I thought it prudent to ask which company names I should be watching for.

Regards.

C79

Custom79

One of the Regulars
scotrace.

I found what I was looking for within the stickys you mentioned.

Thanks for looking out for the newbie.

Cheers.

C79
scotrace said:
You should read the threads here, starting with the stickies.

Your question is a little broad...

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Decent question mate! Akubra for a cheap quality hat to Borsalino for the finest italians....inbetween a few american names...bailey, stetson etc...and of course the english ones...bates, christy`s lock...

arehs08

New in Town
Pure Beaver Hats

I personally am sold on Butch Dorer hats. They are Pure beaver hats and they are quite expensive but I think they have a less expensive hat that is only 50% beaver but they do offer a guarantee on their products, which I dont think a lot of hatmakers do these days. But he does nice quality work and the ones I own have lasted for years, although I think I am over due for a new one.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Arehs,

I admit, Butch seems to be a quality hatter. The luxuries like that leather hatbox, the gold or silver furniture on the band, the silk lining and the overall appearance of his western hats seems impressive on his website.

If he can fetch $10,000 for his work, good for him.
I've heard of beaver vs belly beaver. I assume Portugal offers the belly-only fur, though it smells suspect that they'd only use belly and charge for that. But a lot of hatters talk belly, so I'll take their word for it.

My only problem is, I can't find any evidence that a species or subspecies of beaver exists that is known as the Silver Beaver, as Butch claims to use.

http://www.butchdorerhats.com/SilverBeaver1.html

It may be rare, but there are plenty of naturalists sites that go into some detail about the beavers of Europe and America. I'm curious to see some evidence of this rare silver beaver. Sounds neat if it's true.

This is the sort of thing that makes me leery of dealing with what may very well be a master hatter... the suspect info, the grand claims. I'd rather do without an amazing hat than trust my cash to someone I don't trust.

Understand, though. I applaud you as a discerning hat customer if you are pleased with the man's work, which many people appear to be. It's not you or your choices, Arehs, it's my own conviction at the moment. Just goin' with my gut.

Spellflower

Practically Family
daizawaguy said:
Decent question mate! Akubra for a cheap quality hat to Borsalino for the finest italians....inbetween a few american names...bailey, stetson etc...and of course the english ones...bates, christy`s lock...

Just because Borsalino represents the highest priced production hats on the market does not mean they are the best hats on the market.

I don't own one, but based on reviews here (even from Besdor, who sells them), they are not worth the money, especially when you can get a custom hat for less from Vintage Silhouettes. I know that's what I'd do if I had a few hundred dollars earmarked for a new lid.

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
Whew, $10Gs for a hat... that thing better do my housework for me for the next 6 years! The only hat I've seen above the $350-range that I'd be willing to pay for is Marc Kitter's Adventurebilt Deluxe, and that's 'only' running around $550-600. Less than half of what Butch is selling his second best hat for! Good for him if he can nab that kind of money, but in the end a hat is just a hat. For that much I can get a $305 Stratoliner re-creation from Art, and put $9,695 into my house or truck loan. Smarter investment, if you ask me.

Regards, Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust