Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grey trousers + brown shoes

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I have in my voluminous family fonds an image from, I believe, a 1930s Vogue or similar magazine. I don't have the picture in front of me and even if I did I have no way of scanning it. If I'm remembering correctly the pcture was of a man in an overplaid blazer that was light brown in colour, he wore this with light grey trousers and brown shoes. The blazer is a little foggy but the grey trousers with brown shoes are absolutely crystal clear in my mind's eye.

So, what's the story? What browns went with what greys in the 30s? I'm sure it was a light grey, perhaps lighter than Cambridge grey, and the brown was also light, warm, a little on the red side, though it was a sixty-plus year old magazine page when I last saw it so the colours may not be absolutely true.

The image below is one I just found, if it works, and though it is not exactly what I'm getting at, it is close. Note the shoes and trousers on the golfer on the left.

fox,c_esquire_travelkit.jpg

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Marc,

I knew you'd know. :eusa_clap Why didn't I just PM? [huh]

Now, can an absinthe frappe be drunk from a brown shoe, or are they strictly for slightly iced velvet slipper-sipping?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

Old issues of Esquire have made me want some rough-out chukkas. I had always thought of them as kind of seedy. But when paired with the right pants = really nice. Chocolate or lighter redding brown with crepe soles.
Now I'm put off by the prices. Even at Land's End they're 200 clams.

Why?

matei

One Too Many
I used to wear my grey suit with brown shoes, and a brown hat. I rather liked that combination.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i think your classic reddish-brown/terracotta brogue goes with virtually anything. i must say i'm surprised at the amount of worry about shoe and trouser colour combination. it has to REALLY clash to look bad. or maybe i'm too relaxed about it.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
herringbonekid said:
i think your classic reddish-brown/terracotta brogue goes with virtually anything. i must say i'm surprised at the amount of worry about shoe and trouser colour combination. it has to REALLY clash to look bad. or maybe i'm too relaxed about it.

I'd say you're right. If you wear it with confidence that will also help when "breaking" those pesky fashion rules. Today I was looking at a book of photographs from Paris in the 1930s and there was one fellow in a pin-stripe DB jacket and a horizontal striped collar-less shirt and Gatsby cap. I thought he looked great despite the jacket stripes going one direction and the shirts going another. I'm going to try this and see if I can pull it off (rules be damned!;) )

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Why, you ask?

scotrace said:
Old issues of Esquire have made me want some rough-out chukkas. I had always thought of them as kind of seedy. But when paired with the right pants = really nice. Chocolate or lighter redding brown with crepe soles.
Now I'm put off by the prices. Even at Land's End they're 200 clams.

Why?

Obviously it's because of the fact that they are made from cows. Cows are extremely vicious, thoroughly dangerous wild beasts that do not willingly part with their skins.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Obviously it's because of the fact that they are made from cows. Cows are extremely vicious, thoroughly dangerous wild beasts that do not willingly part with their skins.

Bwuahahahahaha!!!

:)

I'm hearing this in Marlin Perkins' voice!

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
I think it's a great look.

Brown shoes look great with grey, especially light grey. Back in the golden age, the brown fedora was pretty standard with just about any color clothes. That's not to say that hats didn't come in other colors, but brown fedoras went with anything. Personally, I thing brown shoes can add a very nice warmth to a grey (or blue) suit, at least in some cases.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think grey pants look great with burgundy/ brown shoes. It's a look I've sported forever, and I'm not even sure it's "correct"!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
Yes, grey trousers could be worn with brown shoes. If you wore dark grey (usually in flannel), cordovan (more red than brown, actually) would be your choice. Lighter grey flannels went with medium (milk chocolate) brown SUEDE shoes.

MC, I dig brown suede shoes with all shades of grey flannel.

Shoes001.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Matt Deckard said:
it on;y gets awkward when it's brown and black... it's funeral versus campus in that combo.

Matt, I love to mix brown and black in flannel and suede. Mind you, the shades have to be just right but when done properly, it's sublime.

Edit:In retrospect, it occurs to me that your reference to black/brown manifests from other fora.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe