Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greetings, new fedora wearer...

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Greetings all. I just bought my first fedora today. I know it is not as awesome as the ones most of you have as it came from Wal-Mart and was only $10, but as long as I can remember I have always wanted a fedora. I have always been interested in the 1930's and mob stuff. Growing up I was a HUGE Dick Tracy fan LOL.

Anyway I am just an average guy casual dress of jeans and T-shirts. I am looking to change my look, and since my belly seems to be outgrowing my clothes, now is the perfect time.

So starting with the fedora, I am looking to change my full attire. I don't have big funds to buy fancy stuff. I am also looking for something everyday, not like suits but casual stuff.

Any ideas, photos, ect would be a great help.

Thanks in Advance

~Enoch

Edit for type'o

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Enoch, It's not too late. You can still just back away slowly and save yourself from hours of web scanning and thrift shopping or...............dive right in for a really great ride. You sir are now armed with a resource of fantastic information that makes you the man in control of the situation when you shop for a new hat or just stop at a road side "antique mall" while on a weekend drive. Welcome to the lounge and enjoy the new monkey on your back. Don't forget to feed that monkey for he is a vengeful companion and will not tolerate being ignored.
Tom D.

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Your obsession's writing cheques your body can't cash

Ditto St Ignatz.

I started off with a cheap paper trilby from Target that cost me $2. Now I've bought a couple of Akubras worth over $100, a Bailey for $60, a straw homburg (okay, it was damaged and I got it for $25) and a vintage Lock & Co for $90, an irish tweed flat cap for $45 and I'm still going (much to my wife's dismay)! No signs of the madness fading either.

Save yourself, before it's too late. :eek:

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
OK Munch, How's dis. My size is 7 1/2 to 7 5/8 ELO. My wife however is 6 7/8.
If I see a hat in her size I bid. She now has about a dozen hats from Stetson Whippet to Penny's Marathon to ...well you get the picture. I buy hats for people I haven't met yet! Best hobby/obsession/inclination yet

munchausen

One of the Regulars
My wife looks great in hats

I'm happy to see the philanthropic efforts alive in you. :eusa_clap

My wife does look good in hats but doesn't wear them, except when she's messing around with mine. In fact the only one she's got is a knitted sun hat we bought while holidaying in Cairns. She probably looks at my obsession to collect as an oddity.

I figure that with the sun the way it is now, I am setting a bloody good example for my sun by always popping something on top of my noggin. Also, I'm learning about something new and that's the way to keep the brain nodes all fresh and dandy (and boy, do I need it!). I'm still new and still loving the journey. Welcome Enoch.

FYI St Ignatz - I too am a 7 1/2! If that feeling to buy for people you haven't met kicks in. :D

tortswon

Practically Family
Welcome!

Welcome to the Lounge! The sainted Ignatz speaks wisely. Not only are the hats addictive, so is the Lounge. If you participate, you will make a lot of new friends from all over. You might want to even consider putting together a social gathering for other hat lovers in your area!.

For the rest of you freeloaders, Ignatz and I have developed an excellent working relationship over the years with hats of the 7 1/2 and 7 5/8 LO variety. Horning in on my territory will be met with the same tolerance as Capone had for Moran on St. Valentine's Day. :rage: :rage: :rage: :D

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
tortswon said:
Welcome to the Lounge! The sainted Ignatz speaks wisely. Not only are the hats addictive, so is the Lounge. If you participate, you will make a lot of new friends from all over. You might want to even consider putting together a social gathering for other hat lovers in your area!.

For the rest of you freeloaders, Ignatz and I have developed an excellent working relationship over the years with hats of the 7 1/2 and 7 5/8 LO variety. Horning in on my territory will be met with the same tolerance as Capone had for Moran on St. Valentine's Day. :rage: :rage: :rage: :D

LOL, Well, I know nothing about hats other then they go on my head LOL so the 7 1/2 and 7 5/8 LO variety is Greek to me :eek:

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
Honda Enoch said:
LOL, Well, I know nothing about hats other then they go on my head LOL so the 7 1/2 and 7 5/8 LO variety is Greek to me :eek:

So get yourselfa tape measure and get a rough idea of size - this information will fuel your motivation to unwisely purcahse hats ad nauseum from eBay and place intense stress on many of your personal and professional relationships. But you will not care.

Welcome. ;)

MississippiLong

One of the Regulars
my obsession started with a bad haircut and a 7 dollar target job. After 2 years I'm still collecting and enjoying lids.

Start with something you won't blow the bank on. Go to www.villagehatshop.com and find you a couple of cheap hats that will inevitably become your beaters. From there move to Akubra (www.hatsdirect.com) and scouring ebay for your size on vintage lids...once you place your first fur felt fedora on your head you're hooked. Good luck and welcome. You've got a great wealth of knowledge here and most anyone is available and happy to answer your questions. :eusa_clap

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Whoa

Sorry there, tortswon. Didn't mean to horn in on anyone's territory. :eek:

If it helps, don't think my head is a long oval. More like a square block. My parents used to tell me as a baby I'd always roll over and sleep on my back...

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Welcome to the addiction.... I must warn your that there isn't a 12 step program to get you out of this...

It is fun, and do hit the antique and thrift store, don't forget estate sales and auctions........... treasures await you everywhere.....

CRH

Call Me a Cab
tortswon said:

Yer damn lucky I'm a 7 1/4, tortswon ;).

asp019.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe