Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Green, Fuzzy and French!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Flechet made hats until the late '60s.

Here is an ad from the early '30s:

63_1_b.jpg

And here is a much more recent Flechet. Note how different the logo is from the one on yours, Tony:

e4_1.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Tony in Tarzana said:
True, Mojave, but some companies skate on their awards for years afterward. When's the last time Pabst won a Blue Ribbon? lol

PBR me, ASAP! Well, actually, let's hold off on that PBR. How 'bout a Newcastle, instead?

You're right, though, Tony. That date is, at best, a terminus post quem. I knew Marc's (and Hemingway's) assessment would be right on, but I had to get in a poke while I could! I don't get many opportunities. I even have to run any potential hats by Hemingway before I even consider buying or bidding on them. I think he was going to kick me when I passed on an Open Road in Boston, though! ;)

By the by, is that a "kitten" finish? If not, what is a kitten finish?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
my resistol has a kitten finish- but it is anything but velour. It is extremely fine felt. Maybe that's just on resistols though-

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a Resistol porkpie with a "Kitten Finish" and it's soft, but not particularly fuzzy. And yes, I've seen the '70s fuzzy finishes... :eek: Mine's as fuzzy as I want to get.

Hmm, a fuzzy green suit? Maybe not. lol

Oh, and before anybody asks, the crown is 5-1/4" in the center-dent bash, and the brim is 2-3/4". The proportions do seem right for the 1930s.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mojave Jack said:
I even have to run any potential hats by Hemingway before I even consider buying or bidding on them. I think he was going to kick me when I passed on an Open Road in Boston, though! ;)
And since you brought that up! Vintage Stetson Open Road in really good shape with a fedora bash for $50! And he passes it up. :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

Rundquist

A-List Customer
Very nice. I love any hat finish that has texture to it. I’ve got three green hats myself. Green is a cool color. However my favorite hat color is still blue.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks folks! I'm sorry to have to report that the sweatband on this hat practically disintegrated after just an hour or so of wearing. Fortunately there's nothing much printed on it so it won't really degrade the hat when I have the sweat replaced. I will send it to one of our vendors forthwith so that I can continue to wear the hat.

R

Red Beard

I REALLY like that hat. I remember seeing it listed.

Enjoy it.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Flechet

Flechet made some of the best hats in the world . We carried them in our store until they went out of business in the late 1960's . They were as good as the original Borsalino hats.

Steven

Wild Root

Gone Home
Lauren Henline said:
You know, there's a line in 42nd street where Ruby Keeler is looking for the Stage Manager... Dick Powell directs her to the man in a light green hat. I was just thinking today, I've never seen a light green hat, and now I have :)

Ah, I know the part well! When I saw Tony's hat, I thought the same thing! ;)
Although, Warren Baxter's light green hat had a black ribbon on it and he wore it with a dark suit... in the 30's, it was all about contrast! Tony, you could wear a very dark blue, brown or green suit with that hat! It would look pretty nice I'd think!

That really is a rare hat... I'd say late 30's... it is amazing! I have a few fuzzy felts and I like them plenty! The ribbon is nice and tall... the bow is pleated... I like it!

Good work sir, send it off and have that sweat replaced and enjoy it!

=WR=

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
That really is a rare hat... I'd say late 30's... it is amazing! I have a few fuzzy felts and I like them plenty! The ribbon is nice and tall... the bow is pleated... I like it!

Good work sir, send it off and have that sweat replaced and enjoy it!

=WR=
In fact, you were wearing a great one last year at the QM when I met you on Friday night. I believe it was white or cream, but I don't remember what color the ribbon was. That was a really nice hat, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally