Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great news for our European lounge members

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Now my fellow Fedora Lounge lurkers and posters you soon will have a new hatter in Europe!! Marc is a member here as well as COW. I think this is great news for our friends across the seas. :)

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

After years of reading, learning and practicing, my good friend Steve aka Fedora offered to become his partner, responsible for the European division of the Adventurebilt Hat Co. Steve ensured his full support, while meanwhile giving me the opportunity to change whatever I feel necesarry.

Since Steve and I had spend several month on the fine tuning of the block, there wasn’t ANYTHING to come after here. So Steve made an exact copy of his Raiders block and I’ll have it replicated in the various sizes in good ol’ England.

In my search for the best felt out there, I found a felter in Portugal who not only supplies pure beaver bodies, but also an extraordinary quality of those and I was totally in love with the felt quality of the two sample bodies I received. And even though these bodies cost up to three times as much as our current offerings, that’s what I’ll use. My dear friend will soon be able to offer the same quality in his hat line.

Same with the sweatbands: I really like the sweatbands on the current Adventurebilts, but had seen better in the past and to me the sweatband is an EXTREMELY important factor on a hat. It’s what you wear after all. So I found a sweatband maker in England, who has made sweatbands for over 200 years and who agreed to give the project a try and make some special made sweatbands for Steve and me.

I also found a supplier in England, who is willing to custom make the ribbon Steve was so lucky to get a hold of. I don’t think there’s any way to improve that ribbon, so I sent a sample to England and it’s a go. Meanwhile I MIGHT have found the supplier of Herbert Johnson and MIGHT be able to get the ribbon they used back in the late 70’s, but that’s not clear yet.

Of course I’ll use the same high quality bridal satin liner, with the only difference of having the Adventurebilt script on the liner as well. Indiana Tom has been of great help in designing a classic looking script, that fits the era of the movies. Thanks Tom.

Since I didn’t take any shortcut in the choice of the materials, I won’t go there with the craftmanship neither and make the hats like they were made “back in the days�: COMPLETELY by hand. Same with the reblocks of (quality) hats, that I’ll be able to offer soon.

It’ll probably take a couple of months yet to get all the stuff together, but unless you think I should rather skip the whole idea, the decission is made.

Stay tuned!

Best Regards,

Marc Kitter – Adventurebilt Hat Co.

nicolasb

Familiar Face
And even though these bodies cost up to three times as much as our current offerings, that’s what I’ll use.
I was happy until I got to that part. :(

Well, have to wait till we see the final prices. Do we know where in Europe this is going to be happening? Hoping it might be close enough to me to attend a fitting session in person. (Only way any hat is ever going to end up the same shape as my head, no matter how superbly it is made. :) )

Marc

Vendor
Thank you for your post Roger!

Unfortunately I will not be able to offer them for 225$ with this felt, but I'll have to calculate the final price yet and promiss to be as fair as possible. I'm not trying to rip people off.

@nicolasb: once I get started, I could mail you three or four sweatbands, all in your size but each 3mm different and you could chose the best fitting. How's that?

Thanks,

Marc

nicolasb

Familiar Face
Marc said:
Unfortunately I will not be able to offer them for 225$ with this felt
:(

Marc said:
once I get started, I could mail you three or four sweatbands, all in your size but each 3mm different and you could chose the best fitting. How's that?
That's a kind offer, but the problem with my head is not just a question of circumference, it's a question of shape - it's weirdly flat in places where you would expect it to be more curved, and vice versa. If I'm ever to get a hat that truly fits I think it's going to have to be specifically modelled to my head in three dimensions, not just carefully measured round the brim.

SHARPETOYS said:
It depends on the size of your feet!!
They're a mutated shape too. :)

Marc

Vendor
That's a kind offer, but the problem with my head is not just a question of circumference, it's a question of shape - it's weirdly flat in places where you would expect it to be more curved, and vice versa. If I'm ever to get a hat that truly fits I think it's going to have to be specifically modelled to my head in three dimensions, not just carefully measured round the brim.

-I see... I have a modern version of a conformer which would enable you to trace the exact shape of your head onto a paper sheet, but I reckon without a formillion, that wouldn't be of any help :(

What experiences do you have with soft felt hats? - Do they conform after a while? - I know for sure, that with a soft roan leather sweatband and a pliable felt, this is possible to a certain degree, but of course I don't know which degree we're talking here (any chance to post a top view of you head?).

By the way: here's the logo for the the European Adventurebilt:

ab-logo.gif

Regards,

Marc

nicolasb

Familiar Face
Marc said:
What experiences do you have with soft felt hats? - Do they conform after a while?
I haven't owned one long enough to be sure, yet, I'm still quite new to this game. :)

I have a modern version of a conformer which would enable you to trace the exact shape of your head onto a paper sheet, but I reckon without a formillion, that wouldn't be of any help :(
What's needed is a modern electronic equivalent to a conformer which can store the results digitally; said results could then be translated into a 3D model of a person's head on a computer and/or used to produce a formillion remotely.

(any chance to post a top view of you head?).
I will get around to this one day: taking photos of the top of one's own head is tricky to do at all, and even harder to do without looking like an idiot while you're doing it. :cool:

nicolasb

Familiar Face
SHARPETOYS said:
I think you could make a mold of your head pretty easy and send that off to Marc.
I had been wondering about doing something like that. Possibly the precise method outlined in your link is best suited to balder people who will not get lots of hair tangled up and stuck to the adhesive tape. :)

I guess the ideal would be to make some sort of mold (maybe a plaster cast) and then use that to produce a life-size model in (say) latex and post that. :eek:

Anyone got any friends in London who do film/TV scifi make-up? :)

I must give this a bit more thought.

Marc

Vendor
After the kind support from the guys over at COW, the logo was slightly modifyed (the texts at the bottom where exchanged place wise):

ab-logo2.gif

I'm very happy with it now and hopefully so are you.

Regards,

Marc

nicolasb

Familiar Face
If it were me I would capitalise the caption, i.e.

"Made To Measure.
Build To Last."

And see if you can't register that and the company name as trademarks. :)

Marc

Vendor
They will be the same white bridal satin that Steve uses in his Adventurebilts. In fact they're even from the same maker in the U.S.

Indiana Tom just reworked the logo to be SUPER sharp the other day, then converted it into vector graphic art and finally to a Mac file. I sent it to the liner maker and got reply that with THAT image I should get a CRYSTAL CLEAR printing

But Sharpey: if the demand is there to get a black liner to match the modern HJs... :rolleyes: ....it shouldn't be a problem to have them made in black as well...

Regards,

Marc

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Speaking of Fedora, has anyone heard from him recently? Columbus was right smack in the middle of Hurricane Katrina on Monday night. Hope that he is well.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Steve/Fedora is ok!!

I spoke to Steve's mom today and they got the power back on. She will need a new roof and she lost all the food in the freezer. The main thing they all are ok!

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Thanks for the update, Roger! I'm sorry to hear that they're dealing with some damage, but given the state of affairs in that part of the country right now, I suppose that they're lucky. I'm thankful to know that Steve and his family weathered the strom safely and are in good health.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe