Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good memories.

D

DeaconKC

Iced in today in an ice storm got the old brain working about good memories.....
Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup when cold from snowball fights,
putting on a shirt just out of the dryer [oooooh, so warm]
and my Grandma's cinnamon rolls.
What kinds of memories do you treasure?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Going out to my grandma's garden, picking fresh strawberries, and then sprinkling surgar on them in grandma's kitchen.

After the bus dropped me off from school at our farm, walking in the house and having that just-baked cookie smell invade my senses. I loved that my mom stayed home when I was in elementary and high school.

Hot chocolate or hot apple cider after a day of sledding on the farm - one time we used an old hood from a truck, tied it to the back of another truck, and went sledding on the country roads.

D

DeaconKC

It's about a 1/2inch solid with another inch or so of sleet/frozen rain on top of it.
Yuck. I think it's time for another pot of coffee...........

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
My mom was planning a trip to Illinois this weekend, but she may have to cancel - she was going to visit a friend in Dixon. I *think* that it might be out of the storm's area, but not sure...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Toasted cheese sandwiches and chicken noodle soup. Nobody ever made that lunch like my grandmother, and if I could have one moment of my childhood back again, it would be to have it one more time. The kerosene smell from the stove just made it taste better.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Rather random, but this is the first thing I thought of when I read this thread title.

I had an art teacher in high school who was very perceptive--he always seemed to know when I needed a kind word and I will be forever grateful to him for letting me eat lunch in the art room and work on my projects instead of braving the horrors of the adolescent girls in the lunchroom.

One day, I was trying to get a letter to fit in a small envelope and mangling it dreadfully; I made some remark about it under my breath. He came over and very patiently showed me how to fold the page in half, and then into thirds. For some reason I really love that memory--I don't know if it is because he noticed I was having trouble and helped me without my having to ask, or that he didn't make me feel stupid for not knowing how to do it. I still think of him whenever I fold paper that way too.

green papaya

One Too Many
smells from the school cafeteria

I remember asking to use the rest room, and as I was walking outside I remeber the nice smells of the food being prepared for lunch by the friendly cafeteria ladies

I could tell what was cooking by the smells like:

chili

spaghetti

beef & gravy over mashed potatos

sloppy joes

corn bread

brownies

yummy! :)

D

DeaconKC

I've been working with young people for 25 years now in my church[es]. It is really an encouragement to watch how a little thing can help some of these kids out.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Company picnics. The company my father worked for would have these, and one time, when I was about eight, my sister, Cherie, helped me pick a number for the raffle. I won a Covey ice chest.

Another is helping my father bleed the brakes on the cars, or watching him build his H. O. scale trains.

Waking up Christmas morning to find a SEA of presents for me and my six brothers and sisters under the tree. We were always up before mom and dad, and couldn't go past the end of the hallway until they were up.

Camping at Clay Canyon in Corona. My father always brought one of his telescopes. We invited our camp neighbors to join us, and their mom looked through the scope and said, "It looks like so much plaster of Paris."

Riding bikes around the neighborhood with my sister, Cherie.

Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82